WRF989SDAE00 Whirlpool refrigerator stops cooling after the defrost cycle is complete

markaf

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF989SDAE00
Brand
Whirlpool
We have a Whirlpool French Door, dual evaporator refrigerator that we purchased in 2014 from Home Depot. Model #: WRF989SDAE00. When you plug it in everything works fine. In about 4-5 hours the freezer reaches 0 degrees and refrigerator 36 degrees. It works fine for hours until it defrosts. The defrost cycle works fine until the compressor kicks back in and then it doesn't cool. It acts like the 3-way valve does not move to the right position.

It passes all the diagnostics tests except Service Test 4. Test 4 has 5 sub steps,I will list them with the results.

01 Initialize dual evap valve in home position. (I can fell the valve move in this test)
02 Close both RC & FC evaporator valves. (I can feel valves moving)
03 Turn compressor on. (THE COMPRESSOR DOES NOT TURN ON)
04 Keep compressor on, drive valve to RC position & turn RC fan on. (THE COMPRESSOR TURNS ON IN THIS STEP BUT VALVE DOESN'T MOVE AND RC FAN NOT ON)
05 Keep compressor on, drive valve to FC position and turn on FC fan. (THE COMPRESSOR IS ON BUT VALVE DOESN'T MOVE AND FC FAN NOT ON)

I can't find any information to proceed that helps me determine why it is not passing sub steps 03, 04, and 05.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, Here's the parts diagram for your model:

I haven't worked on any of the sealed system parts on this model as of yet, but the service manual goes into great detail about that 3-way valve.

Start Reading at page 45 here: Job Aid - W10444924 (R-114).pdf - Google Drive

Jake

markaf

Premium Member
I read through Job Aid several times but can't find any possible problems listed that might be causing Service Test 4 to fail.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Service Test - 3 Evaporator fan motor and air baffle motor
• Control the RC & FC Evaporator Fan Mtrs. by depressing SW3 (01= Both Fan Mtr. off. 02 =FC Fan on.)
• Depress SW3 once to advance. Step 3 will flash quickly and advances to steps 13/23 very quickly. The result is RC Fan on, Pantry Air Damper on. Pantry Air Damper will open and close automatically. (13= Damper Open. 23= Damper Closed). Verify air flow inside pantry on left hand side when damper is open, (13 displayed). Air flow in pantry will cease when 23 is displayed).
• Depress SW3 to advance to last step. (04 = Both RC & FC fans on).

Service Test - 4 Compressor/ condenser fan motor/evaporator fan
• There will be a delay of 3 seconds before start of sub step 01. Each step is timed and be automatically proceed to the next step. User will not be allowed to exit step. If exit is attempted, an invalid chime will be produced.
• Control the Sealed System loads selecting SW3 (01 = Initialize Dual Evap Valve in home position (4min), 02 = Close both RC&FC Evap Valve (1min), 03 = Turn compressor ON (1min), 04 = Keep compressor ON, drive the valve to RC position & turn RC fan ON, 05 = Keep compressor ON, drive the valve to FC position & turn FC fan ON. Verify air flow from the evaporator fan.
Note: Advance quickly through step 4 to keep from locking in. Once locked in you can’t exit, must wait wait ten minutes approximately.

Start with the RC Fan Motor voltage output on the main control board.

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below. On your main control board the RC Fan Motor is at P14-3 and P14-4 should be 14 Volts DC.

If the RC Fan Motor is running in Service Test 3, but not in Service Test 4, then we know the control board is the culprit.

Also check Inverter Output at P8-7 and P8-8 it should be 3 to 6 Volts DC.

You can only get the main control board when you order the dispenser display board, as they want you to replace both at once.

Here it is for your model:
W10861425 Cntrl-Elec

Watch this video to remove the front display board:

Jake

Attachments

markaf

Premium Member
I checked the RC fan motor voltage at P14-3 & P14-4. It ranged from 8.5 to 9.5 volts DC. It is supposed to be 14 volts DC.

The inverter output at P8-7 & P8-8 was about 3.5 volts DC.

On Service Test 3 the RC fan motor ran on each trial.

On Service Test 4 the RC fan motor only turned on once in 5 trials.

You stated that if the RC fan ran on Service Test 3 but not on Service Test 4, it would be the control board. I had bought a used control board about a month ago from a salvage appliance place and the readings from that board are almost identical to the original control board. Do you think both boards are bad?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The voltage readings on both control boards are the same?

If so, then let's check one more component.

Check your pantry/deli display board and see if its burnt, or any spillage is on the circuit board side causing it to short out and not work properly and do weird things to your refrigerator like your experiencing now.

There is service bulletin about this problem here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OUD3L2YYjwGY48xB2u1jH-LMZXwtUl4a

Remove the wires from that pantry/deli board and see if it fixes this problem.

Here it is for your model:
WPW10565996 Ui Assy Dotyk

Jake

markaf

Premium Member
After unplugging the pantry/deli board, I checked the RC fan motor voltage, which was still about the same as before at about 9 volts DC. The inverter output was still about 3.5 volts DC.

I ran about 5 trials on Service Test 3 & Service Test 4. The results were about the same as before.

On Service Test 3, the RC Fan turned on every trial. The FC Fan only turned on 2 of the 5 trials on sub test O4, where both fans are supposed to be on.

On Service Test 4, the RC Fan & FC Fan turned on 2 of the 5 trials, I think each time it was when I had plugged the refrigerator in after setting a while and then did Service Teat 4. Both RC & FC Fans, when turning on, were a couple minutes late in doing so. The compressor is still turning on in sub step 4 instead of sub step 3, like it is supposed to.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Like I said, I have not run into this problem before, all you can do is go by what the service manual and tech. data sheet to isolate the problem.

If you are not able to find the problem, then its best to contact Whirlpool at 1-866-698-2538 to have a tech come out from their authorized servicer list. The authorized servicer has a phone number to the factory they can call from your house to get live assistance to isolate this problem.:)

Jake