FIXED WRF989SDAE02 Refrigerator ice maker chute door opens/closes randomly and display restarts

rjwpavo

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF989SDAE02
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi, I have a Whirpool Gold french door with bottom freezer.

It has just started having an issue where the following things happen within a moments of each other:
1. The ice chute door opens and closes
2. There is around 4-5 beeps
3. The display turns off
4. The fridge appears to shut down (quiet and no noise).

It is only momentary as the display lights back up and the compressor/noises come back. It's been doing this sequence every 10 minutes or so (I haven't timed it)

As a side note- A while back I did defrost the freezer fan with a hair dryer but I have had no others issues or service calls on this unit.

Let me know what ya think!
Thanks!!

rjwpavo

Premium Member
I replaced the control board, but it still does the same thing. Any other ideas????

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Was it a new board from the link I gave you? Do you have a DMM that can measure volts and ohms?

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, On the dispenser board check for a constant 14 VDC across J2-4- J2-6.

Check for 14 VDC across J1-1 - J1-3 when the ice dispenser button is pressed

Check for 14V across J1-2 - J1-3 when the ice dispenser pad is pressed

Check for -2.5V across J2-7 and J2-11, 12, 13, and 14. This is a pulsating DC signal. Less expensive meters may not be able to read the DC signal.

Use this diagram for the switch numbers:

R-displayswitch numbers.jpg

Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds.

Release both buttons when you hear the CHIME indicator.

Unit must not be in Lockout prior to entering SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE.

The display will show 01 to indicate the control is in step 1 of the diagnostics routine.

Each step must be manually advanced.

Press SW5 to move to the next step in the sequence.

Press SW4 to back up in the sequence to the previous step.

Each step is displayed in the two digits of the dispenser user interface display.

The step results are displayed in the two digits on dispenser user interface display 2 seconds after the step number is displayed.

An amber order filter light will be shown to designate that the step number is being displayed

A red replace filter light will be shown to designate that the status of the step is being displayed.

Run the following tests:

Service Test - 32 Ambient Thermistor UI Control
• This is an internal board test. The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display the
results. (01 = Pass, 02 = Open, 03 = Short)

Service Test - 33 Humidity Sensor UI Control
• Relative Humidity Test (Humidity % Value 0-99 = pass or Er = Fail)

Service Test - 18 Ice Door Motor
• Displays the Ice Door stepper motor state on the UI display. Press ice paddle and verify that the mechanical operation of the ice door corresponds to the component status indicator.
NOTE: Ice door will have a delay in closing after an ice paddle is released. (01 = Closed, 02 = Opening, 03 = Open, 04 = Closing)

rjwpavo

Premium Member
Just to add more info I noticed... the interior lights sometimes will not all be on. If I close the door then reopen, they come on. Also, no ice production.

As far as the tests, #32 is pass, #33 is 22%, and #18 shows correctly the position of the ice door while stepping through.

Working on the voltage readings, but do I need to disassemble the dispenser control board itself or just pull it (the assembly) away from the front of the fridge to access the test points?

rickgburton

Staff member
You will need to remove it . There's either two or four tabs on the bottom. How often does the ice door open and close ? I thought it was continuous. Am I wrong?

rjwpavo

Premium Member
Also, J2-4 to J2-6 is a constant 14VDC. I can't get my probes in the rest yet, gonna get some smaller points for my Fluke...

rjwpavo

Premium Member
I ended up getting the WPW10589837 kit that replaces both the control board in back and the ice dispenser display. It appears to have solved my issue. I have ice cubes now.

I also got the upgrade kit (W10612142) for the icemaker, since my serial was in the range of the service bulletin.

Thanks for all the help!!