FIXED WRF989SDAF Whirlpool Refrigerator - Measured Fill Default?

NickTheGreat

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF989SDAF
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello all. First post on this forum, but hope to learn a lot while I'm here. :3:

We bought a whole new kitchen's worth of Whirlpool Appliances in April. Wonderful appliances, no real complaints about them.

Just one nag about the fridge. I've googled this until my fingers have bled, but is there any way to change the default quantity of the measured fill feature? 8 oz is nice and all, but even our smallest glasses are bigger than that. If I could set this to 12 or 13 ounces, that would be amazing.

I'm guessing this is hard coded somewhere, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

NickTheGreat

Premium Member
I actually did RTM, but obviously not close enough . . . My fiance would not be surprised by this. :rolleyes:

Thanks a million for the help :D

NickTheGreat

Premium Member
And actually . . . maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see that it says how to change the default? Like instead of arrowing up to 12oz every time, it'll start there.

It's a Monday, so it is possible I'm just not getting it. :p

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, yes, just read it again, This model is so new I haven't run across it as of yet or I could explain it better.

Jake

NickTheGreat

Premium Member
Hmmm . . . yeah I'm not seeing anything. And I had someone else read it. :confused:

I see how to calibrate the thing, and change the quantity. But I'm talking about changing the default quantity from 8 oz to 12 oz, for example.

Anybody out there done this before???

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It doesn't look that complicated.

1. Press MEASURED FILL to turn on the feature. When the feature is on, the Measured Fill screen appears on the display.
NOTES:
■ The dispenser will automatically turn off Measured Fill after 1 minute of inactivity. When Measured Fill is turned off, any changes you have made will be lost and all defaults will be restored.
■ Press ICE/WATER “Back,” to manually turn off the Measured Fill feature.

2. Press LIGHT, under Units, to toggle among ounce, cup and liter. The default unit is ounce.
Default, minimum, and maximum volumes are listed below.

Units
Minimum
Maximum
Ounces
Cups
1/4
Liters

<tbody>
</tbody>

3. Press LOCK or OPTIONS to adjust the water volume as desired. The LOCK control increases the volume, and the OPTIONS control lowers the volume.
NOTES:
■ When increasing or decreasing the dispense volumes, if an adjustment button (-/+) is held for approximately 10 seconds or longer the control may stop responding. Release the button for approximately 2 seconds and then continue making the adjustment.
■ Most coffee cups (commonly 4 to 6 oz [118 to 177 mL] per cup) are not the same size as a measuring cup (8 oz [237 mL]). You may need to adjust the volume to avoid unintentionally overfilling coffee cups.

If your still not able to get it set like you want, Whirlpool will come out for one free courtesy service call to over it with you: Owners Center Whirlpool | Refrigeration, Cooking, Dishwashers & Laundry Appliances

I just thought of this, Couldn't you go to the store you purchased it at? They should have a showroom model with the refrigerator ON and they can show you.

Jake

NickTheGreat

Premium Member
Thanks for that but like I said I'm trying to change the default so that it DEFAULTS to another quantity.

I can figure out how to change it one time.

I think this thread is my answer...I'll just buy 8oz drinkware ;)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
hahaa, sorry I guess I'm mis-understanding what you are trying to say.

Jake

Gumper

This worked for me...

I wanted to change my measured fill for my larger cups too, and found it a hassle to change it each use. If you are like me and do not use the measure fill to actually "measure a fill", then you can change the default to fill your 12oz cup this way.

Go through the calibrate process by pressing options and lock together for 3 seconds, and the dislplay will show 1cup. Place your cup and press the water dispense pad with your hand until it fills to where you want it, then hit confirm. What this will do is change the 8oz measurement to be your 12oz fill. Now when you hit measure fill, it will show 8oz, the 8oz countdown will go slower, and your glass will be 12oz full. Of course, the measurement calibration will be totally off, but I use the dispenser for filling my water glass more than measuring. Hope this helps if you havent figured it out already...

NickTheGreat

Premium Member
I thought about doing that, Gumper. It just seems like something that could have been so simple. I mean, they have settings in there for everything else. Why not this?

I suppose I should try to call Whirlpool, and maybe with any luck, get the engineering department or something.

Alyssajames4

I was getting pretty upset about this bc 8 oz isn't a lot and it's annoying to constantly change. So I just recalibrated what 8 oz was..to what I wanted the default to be. I have this 32 oz water bottle, so I recalibrated 8 oz to mean 32. It will totally confuse anyone else who wants to use it, but I'm really the only one who does, and you can turn it off mid pour if it's about to overflow.

I gotta say I'm pretty proud of myself 😀