WRF989SDAM00 Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator leaking from ceiling by H2O filter/ice maker

illred

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF989SDAM00
Brand
Whirlpool
Whirlpool WRF989SDAM00 French Door Bottom Mount Refrigerator -
Water is dripping from the ceiling near the water filter door & back left corner. I turned off the ice machine, but this did not stop the leak. I have also seen ice buildup against the back wall inside the left corner by the ceiling. Anybody have any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

illred

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Under further observation I have noticed that the majority, if not all, of the water leaking occurs when using the water dispenser or the ice maker is on and using the water. Is this kit the only thing I need still?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
hmm, I'm not sure about that.

I'll attach the service bulletin below so you can see it.

Jake

Attachments

illred

Premium Member
loose connection.jpg

Finally had some time to troubleshoot the leaking water issue. When the dispenser or ice-maker is pulling water, water is spraying from this connection onto the rear reservoir. Any thoughts on which replacement parts I will need to rectify this issue?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Thanks for the photo, that helped alot!

I found another couple members that had this same leak at that same area: FIXED Water leak around filter housing

Roffman posted a good photo of his where it was leaking too, right at the same spot!

Do you see any cracks at the blue "john guest" connector where it goes into the water filter housing? Or any cracks in the water filter housing connection itself where that "john guest" connector goes into it?

Rick posted the part number link to the water filter housing that your model takes in post #8. Rick also posted the part number link for your reservoir in post #22, that includes the new blue "john guest" connector that comes with the new reservoir.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Peter

Premium Member
My Kitchenaid KFIS29BBWH00 has the same layout and the same icing and water leak problems as illred's Whirlpool unit.

Water leak at the joint between reservoir and water filter housing: Water sprayed big-time toward rear when water dispenser was on. The problem was a crack on the inside of the tubing elbow, completely hidden from front view. Replacement of reservoir with new tubing fixed it. The replacement reservoir has one tank, not two, but it has less complex routing of the tubing and less stress on the problem joint. (I replaced the water filter housing first, which did not fix the problem, of course.)

Ice buildup at top left rear, where freezer air is ducted into icemaker: I thought this ice was related to the water leak. It wasn't but now I have the adapter kit you featured above. Since my icemaker works fine, should I ship the kit back or install anyway, since I now know my way around my fridge pretty well.

Thanks.
Peter

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have the adapter kit you featured above. Since my icemaker works fine, should I ship the kit back or install anyway
Hi Peter,

It would be a good idea to install it so you won't have to worry about it, if it crops up down the road.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Peter!

Jake