• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRF989SDAM00 Whirlpool Refrigerator - Freezer fine- fridge not cooling

benny12

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF989SDAM00
Brand
Whirlpool
I woke up yesterday to a warm fridge, but the freezer seemed fine. After researching I ended up cleaning/vacuuming the condensers under the fridge and pulling the draw out and using a hairdryer removing a couple pounds of ice that had accumulated on the cooling unit (evaporator?). clearly airflow was being blocked across the whole unit.

After everything was cleaned and put back together the temp was around 74. The temp has dropped, but as of this morning ~20 hours later with minimal door openings, the temp is still around 50. Should I continue to wait or is there another issue?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
We've been seeing a lot of issues with the evaporator fan motor lately. Check if it's running. If not check for 13V at the fan motor.

benny12

Premium Member
Is that the fan under the back side of the fridge behind the cardboard/insulation cover?

We've been seeing a lot of issues with the evaporator fan motor lately. Check if it's running. If not check for 13V at the fan motor.

benny12

Premium Member
Yeah, that was a stupid question. I found it on a schematic.

I'm not even going to bother checking the voltage... Not going to lie, I feel like an irresponsible home/refrigerator owner.

Should I empty the freezer, kill the power and let all this melt out? Am I looking at other issues or would the evaporator fan motor fan quitting cause this?

Attachments

• Fan Motor.jpg
    Fan Motor.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 26

benny12

Premium Member
Is there a better way to thaw this out than unplugging and leaving the door open?

benny12

Premium Member
I got:

14 volts between the red and the striped wire
9 volts between the red and the yellow
5 volts between the yellow and the striped

Should I go ahead and buy that fan?