• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WRF989SDAM02 Whirlpool Refrigerator water dispenser dispenses water as ice maker refills

corvetteajose

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF989SDAM02
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi,
I'm getting 120 volts on the tan wire and violet wire when the water dispenser paddle is being pushed.
The volatge check was at the ice maker and water soleniod inside the refrigerator. Based on looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that the diodes could be bad. Any suggestions of the location for the diodes or am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance for your help.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Based on looking at the wiring diagram,
The one that came with your machine? The diodes are located in the wire harness close to the water valve.

corvetteajose

Premium Member
The one that came with your machine? The diodes are located in the wire harness close to the water valve.
Yes, the diagram was in the top cap of the fridge. Pictures of the diagram are attached. I have looked all over the fridge for any sign of diodes and such. The only thing I found was an area close to the main inlet valve/ solenoid, a piece of heat shrink with the tan wire and a white/black(tracer) but it didn't match the diagram or make sense for the ice maker heater to activate when it calls for water on the ice maker.

Since I posted this thread:
1) Cut(can re-solder at later date) the tan wire from the circuit board on the P3 connector and push the water dispenser paddle. still getting 120V on the purple wire(Water valve) and 120V on the tan wire(Ice maker valve). It sprayed water out of the ice maker valve.
2)Cut(can re-solder at later date) the purple wire from the circuit board on the P3 connector and reconnected the tan wire back together on the P3 connector, and push the water dispenser paddle. Did NOT get 120V on the purple wire(Ice maker valve). Went into diagnostic mode and the adminstered service diagnostic test 45, ice maker fill test work correctly. It filled properly and no water came out of the water dispenser. Ice maker is making ice fine with the purple wire cut.The water dispenser is inoperable at moment due to the cut wire.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• wiring diagram 1.JPG
    wiring diagram 1.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 186
  • wiring diagram 2.JPG
    wiring diagram 2.JPG
    460.2 KB · Views: 149
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.