FIXED WRF989SDAW00 Whirlpool French Door Bottom freezer making constant beeping noise from control panel.

Keats

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF989SDAW00
Brand
Whirlpool
7 March 2019
This is turning into a comedy of errors. Wow ! I'm not even sure where to start.

I bought this fridge in 2014. About two months ago the ice maker stopped working. Not only that but I began to see water dripping from the "ceiling" near the water filter.
I reviewed all of the videos that I could find on line and decided to open it up and see what I could do. I'm pretty handy fixing things.

I removed the ice maker assy and changed out the defective water inlet tube heater (foil stick on) and did an upgrade to a heated fascia door and new wiring harness that came in the factory kit.
Kit Part # W10619962.

Everything went well. When I reinstalled everything, the leak was still there. I located a small crack in the water tube running from the filter to the reservoir at the 90 degree fitting. This is after the filter and runs from the filter to the reservoirs. I worked on the slight crack and the leak stopped. Until I get a new reservoir, this will work for me. Gorilla Instant Glue and a clamp worked pretty good.

I got everything back in place and tried the water fill at the door. Got water to run perfectly. Then I got a beeping noise at the control panel. The display began lighting up in concert with the beeping and nothing I did would stop the beeping or lights flashing. I unplugged all of the connections one at a time to see if one was causing this beeping / flashing without any success. I unplugged all of the connectors and the beeping continued.

I read the owners manual and there is nothing in there about a beeping noise or flashing lights. I thought that perhaps I could push a combination of "buttons" (IE: Ice and water together or maybe temp and ice etc) to override or reset it, but nothing worked.

The beeping is about once every second or two and it's constant. I thought that it was the door ajar warning and tried time and again to open and close the door tightly. No luck. So right now I have the refrigerator unplugged and the water valve shut off and we moved all of the food to an older Kenmore fridge so it would not spoil.

I'm stumped. I have no idea what brought on this beeping / flashing and I don't know where to go from here. Is there a way to access the circuit board at the door ? Maybe there is a reset possible there.? How do I remove the face plate for the ice / water dispenser on the door without damaging it?

Sorry that this is such a long post but I tried top cover everything to narrow it down a bit.

Any tips or clues will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
Keats
Phoenix.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Keats,

It sounds like you will need this kit below. But check all your wiring first.

This is the kit for your model:
W10861425 Cntrl-Elec

Watch this video to remove the front display board:

Its very simple.

Jake

Keats

Premium Member
Jake, Thanks for the response. I tried to update my posting to explain that I looked at the main circuit board on the rear of the fridge. I noticed a faint odor of burned electrical wiring? Very faint. No visible damage. None of the capacitors were bulged, no signs of anything discolored like a burn etc. Nothing "melted" or any other sign of visible damage.
The compressor is not starting now. Hmmm?

Everything was working fine and I was filling a glass with water at the door to see if there was any leaking where I made the repairs I described. Water was coming out and some air but it soon began to run smoothly. As I filled the glass a second time, the board began to flash very rapidly and the beeping began. It beeped about 1 time per second but the flashing was a lot faster. I unplugged the fridge and tried plugging it in again but nothing changed. Still flashing and beeping.

I'm concerned that something caused the panel to go bad. I'd sure hate to invest a lot of $$ to get another one and have it do the same thing. I know that all of the electrical connections at the top of the fridge are connected correctly. They only fit one way. I'm thinking that just maybe when I plugged the connectors together the last time, I did not have the fridge unplugged from the electrical socket. I had it unplugged each time prior but the last time, I forgot to unplug the fridge first. Could that have caused the problem?

With the compressor not starting, I'm thinking that this may not be a front temperature control panel problem. Is the compressor controlled at all thru that front panel?
Again,

Thank You very much for the advise and the link to the video.

Keats
Phoenix

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Keats

Premium Member
Sat 9 Mar 19
Jake.
Thanks again for the reply.

I checked the Temp control board as indicated. It does not light up at all. I removed it and disconnected the plugs and pulled the circuit board away from the plastic housing and I could see light greenish corrosion on the underside of the board. It was minimal and only on the bottom of the board.
I tried the fridge with the board removed and still no success. Therefore I assume that this temp control board for the vegetable drawer is not the cause. Oh well. I'll keep trying to get it to run again. Who knows, just maybe something will work.
Thanks again, I really appreciate your input.

Keats
Phoenix.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then I'd have Whirlpool 1-866-698-2538 come out to see what's going on, you have too many problems going on here.

Jake

Keats

Premium Member
I'm going to replace the main control board and the user interface from the kit and see if that corrects the problem. If not, then much as I'd hate to spend big bucks to fix this fridge, I may just have to.

Lesson learned.. Never again a Whirlpool. It was less than 2 years old when we had to call in a serviceman to R&R the coils. The company used dissimilar metals in the coils and when they were soldered together they eventually leaked out all the refrigerant. The tech explained that the company knew about the problem but it was something that I had to buy a warranty ($300.00) to pay for. Without the warranty, the repair would have cost me even more.

Had this been a Maytag, the warranty would have been longer and I would not have had to buy a new warranty to cover the repair. I saved a few bucks by going with the Whirlpool but in the long run, it actually cost me more in repairs.

I've got a 1994 Kenmore fridge that just keeps on going. All my food is in it now and it works like a champ. So I've learned my lesson...

Thanks for all the tips and clues,

Keats
Phoenix.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Keats,

This is very rare, I've owned Whirlpool and Maytag products all my life and never seen anything like this before, even in the 1970's when I was a kid I remember my parents Whirlpool appliances(Avocado color) and they all worked fantastic for 20 to 30 years.

Jake

Keats

Premium Member
Times have changed. Products are not made nearly as well as in the past. Very sad...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that's very true.:(

Jake

Keats

Premium Member
Latest Update

Yes, that's very true.:(

Jake
Wed 3/13/19
Jake,
I installed a new main control board and a user interface board (on the door) and plugged it in. Everything started up again. Very good. Cooling off now as I write this.

Minor concern now is the water flow. I followed the Whirlpool instructions by filling a glass for 5 seconds and then allowing a 5 second break and filling the glass again for another 5 seconds etc.
Water flow was minimal at best. Just a trickle. This was right after I started the fridge up so I know it's not a blockage due to icing up. It is still trying to cool off.

I still have the "Ceiling" panel out so I can check for leaks etc. and I see that the reservoirs (there are 2 on my fridge) are both empty. I do not see any water flowing thru the water line to the door. However, I am getting some water out when I use the water feature to fill a glass.

I do not have any leaks. The filter is full and all the lines are connected as they should be. I would think that the reservoirs should have a supply of water in them so that the water cools inside the fridge until there was a demand for water at the door.

This is not a major problem but it sure flowed much better before I had to make the above listed repairs.

Any ideas? How do I get the reservoirs to fill up ?

I sure do not like Whirlpool. :-(

Keats
Phoenix.

Keats

Premium Member
Last Update

Wed P.M.
Hopefully this will be the last posting about this refrigerator.

Could not get water to flow out as it should. I finally got wise and decided to pull it out to check the water supply line from the wall to the fridge.

Sure enough, it was not fully opened. I had asked my wife to open it earlier and she gave it a couple turns and said it was open. She was not correct.

I gave it an a additional two full turns and tried the water dispenser again. Now it was flowing out as it should. Oh well. She meant well...

Still do not have water filling both reservoirs like it should, but I'll give it a day to fill them. In the mean time, back to purging the water line to get any remaining air out.

Ice tomorrow?? I hope so. That's what started this mess....

So for now, I'm done with the repairs. Without a doubt something else will break and I'll be back to fixing stuff, but in the meantime, I'm going to kick back with a cold brew and relax.

Keats :encouragement:
Phoenix.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Keats, glad to hear the new main control board and user interface board fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

For the water dispenser, run 10 full glasses of water from the front dispenser, that will fill the water tank reservoir and get the air out of the lines.:)

Jake