• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRF993FIFM00 Whirlpool Refrigerator flooding

TheVoltman

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF993FIFM00
Brand
Whirlpool
Four months after I purchased my French Door Refrigerator, the refer section filled up with water to the point that water would ran out onto the floor when the doors were opened. Naturally I assumed that the condensate drain was clogged. So, after I mopped up all of the water, disassembled the interior and removed the rear duct, I found that there was no blockage to the drain tube.

I put everything back together thinking that it was just a fluke. Several months later, refer flooded again. This time I immediately took it apart and discovered that the evaporator was a block of ice that extended down into the condensate drain tube. The defrost cycle was obviously working because the ice was melting but had no where to go. This time we called Whirlpool (still under the 1yr warranty) and they sent out a tech. He said that these units had a service bulletin out on them for a defective control board and that he would have to complete that repair first. Two weeks later he returned to not only replace the control board but also the main cooling duct that has some sensors mounted in it. About 4 months later the problem re-occurred. This time we had to call Lowe's for service under our extended warranty. The tech came out and inspected the unit and determined that the control board must be bad again and so he ordered another replacement, he also replaced the main duct as well as the circulating fan.

Since purchasing this unit in June of 2017, it has had the control board replace four times, the main duct three times, the circulating fan twice and the bottom ice maker once. The refer flooding has occurred again. This time Lowe's is just sending us a check for a replacement fridge.

Here is my question, "Is the sensor that clips onto the evaporator supposed to detect the icing up of the evaporator to signal the control board to start the defrost cycle?"

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The thermistor is a variable resistor that changes value with temperature. The control board uses the information from the thermistors along with compressor run time, door openings, and length of time the heater was on the previous defrost cycle to know when to start a defrost cycle.

TheVoltman

Premium Member
Why would the thermistor be attached to the outlet tube of the evap (the warmest point) to monitor its temperature?
Wouldn't it make more sense to attach it where the frost/ice is going to build up?