• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WRF997SDDM00 Whirlpool Gold French door fridge/freezer led lights out

Status
Not open for further replies.

1383ss

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF997SDDM00
Brand
Whirlpool
The freezer light went out a few weeks ago and I thought it must need a bulb, but I have not done anything with it yet. Today I opened it and the 4 lights on the sides and the 4 in the ceiling on the right side flashed and then went out. I have unplugged the refrigerator and they still do not work. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

1383ss

Premium Member
I will wait back to see if that worked for the other guy. I'd rather not spend $100 until I'm sure what the problem is with the lights. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

kerrlakelover

Premium Member
New member here. Did you guys ever get a confirmation that the LED power supply inverter fixed @1383ss light issue? Our WRF997SDDM00 just developed this issue. If you confirmed the inverter was the answer, how do I get to it in the refrigerator? Thanks for any help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No he never came back to update us.

Is your freezer LED light out too? and also the left side LED, right side LED and top LED in the refrigerator dim or out too?

These LED lights run in series, if the freezer LED goes bad it makes the left side, right side and top LED's in the refrigerator either go dim or completely out.

Jake

kerrlakelover

Premium Member
Yep, that's my problem exactly. The lights flickered for a few days and they seemed effected by the left door switch. Then yesterday all of those lights went out. Any further help, advice or direction you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty much a do it yourselfer. Never had to work on this refrigerator but have repaired multiple other appliances over our 40 years of marriage.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So no LED's are working at all in BOTH the freezer section and refrigerator section?

Here's the freezer LED module for your model: W11130208

All the refrigerator side LED modules use the exact same part number.

Jake

kerrlakelover

Premium Member
Thnx so much Jake! No freezer lights, no vertical lights on the left and right side in the fridge and 3 overhead lights on the right side of the fridge are not working. 2 overhead lights on the left side of fridge are working and the shelf lights are working. I think the attached pic makes it more clear. If W11130208 is the issue, I think it is located just above the freezer drawers. I will have to remove them to get access to a compartment that I think I feel when I run my hand in above the drawers. Correct?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

The Top left 2 LED's are in series, that's why they are working.

The next series are the 2 LED's on the left side wall and the 2 LED's on the right side wall in the refrigerator section.

The final series is the Freezer LED and the 3 right side Top ones in the refrigerator section.

Here's the parts diagram for the freezer section:
#3 is the LED module, it shows it on the freezer ceiling. Yours is not on the freezer ceiling?

You will definitely need the freezer side LED module and that will make the 3 right side Top ones in the refrigerator section work again.

If you want to verify that, just remove the freezer LED module and use a multimeter on DC volts and see if you get 14 volts DC at the electrical connector to the freezer module, while the freezer door is open.

You just use a putty knife to pry the LED modules out.

Jake

kerrlakelover

Premium Member
First, I forgot to add the pic (ole fart here with CRS syndrome). I'm attaching it to this reply.

Bottom line from you last comment is that the Freezer LED Module W11130208 should fix all my LEDs.

And yes, I think the module is in the freezer ceiling. While I have not pulled the freezer drawers out to absolutely verify, I can feel what I think is the little compartment where the module is located. It's like a little bump down in the ceiling right at the front.

I'm ordering the module as soon as I post this reply. THANKS SO MUCH JAKE.......AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT.

BTW...I started servicing typewriters and dictation equipment with IBM in 1973. Serviced all of IBM's office products over 20 years in the field. So, I'm a little bit dangerous working on stuff like this.

Attachments

• 20200825_153604.jpg
    20200825_153604.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 139

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see your photo. Thanks!

Sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake

kerrlakelover

Premium Member
LET THERE BE LIGHT! That was the issue. Biggest challenge was plugging the tiny 2 wire male connector back in to the female. The female had NO extra wire and was only sticking about 2/3 way out. Every time I tried plugging the new module connector in, the female would slip back under the liner housing. Thanks so much for the help Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the Freezer LED module fixed them all.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.