• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRS315SNHM01 Whirlpool side-by-side freezer won't stay cold

Stealth57

Model Number
WRS315SNHM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Whirlpool told me that using the mid settings for both the refrigerator and the freezer would give me 0 degrees in the freezer and 37 in the refrigerator (those are recommended temps for food safety). I noticed that ice cream was very soft, so I decreased the temperature control to mid/max (one less than full cold) and pushed the freezer slider to coldest. I then connected a temperature logger to the mid points of both compartments and found (see attached) that the refrigerator was very stable around 33 degrees, but that is dangerously close to freezing liquids, and the freezer was very unstable. The freezer ranges from -5 degrees when the compressor is running and 10 degrees when it stops. In a 2.5 hour cycle, the freezer is only near zero for about 30 minutes. I need to increase the refrigerator temp but lower the freezer temp. Those requirements conflict with the controls.

Can anyone suggest if the attached chart indicates a leak or other issue? I have a service tech coming out in 2 days under warranty, but want to make sure I have a good idea what's up before he gets here.

Capture.JPG

The X-axis is minutes and the Y-axis is degrees F.