WRS315SNHW01 Whirlpool refrigerator - freeze cold / refrigerator warm

pbcd

Premium Member
Model Number
WRS315SNHW01
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a brand new Whirlpool side by side refrigerator #WRS315SNHW01. Freezer runs about 0 degrees. Refrigerator side maintains approx. 48 - 50 degrees on the middle shelf (using 2 digital thermometers) Called for repair. Tech looked in the freezer and refrigerator and went to the back and felt the liquid line drier. Tech said the drier was restricted. Ask him how can that be if the the freezer can maintain 0 degrees. His answer did not make sense to me. He now wants to replace drier.

The evap is not iced up. Using the service mode the defrost is working. Evap fan is running. Evap shrouding is intact. Cold supply duct slider control fully open and duct has no blockage. Return duct has no blockage. Refrigerator sensor ohmed out and checked with WP resistance and temp chart. Lights turns off with door switches. No "Display Fail Message" shown on the service mode diagnostics.

I am also in contact with WP but I would much rather fix this problem assuming the repair is minor.
I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this problem.

pbcd

Premium Member
I should also mention that the temperature control is set to it's lowest setting (all lights on).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I doubt it's the filter drier too, because the freezer would be much higher than 0 degrees is the filter drier was restricted.

Put your hand in the upper left side of your air diffuser duct inside the refrigerator section and see how much cold air is coming out, then open the freezer door and see if the cold air flow increases while the freezer door is open.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:

#5 is the air diffuser duct that blows cold air into the refrigerator section from the freezer.

Jake

pbcd

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. The airflow appear low. When the freezer door is open the airflow does increase a little more. The whole air flow circuit is has no restrictions (supply duct, return duct, evap, fan, shrouding). Airflow at the fan appears strong.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, has this been doing it since day 1 when you got it brand new?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then its possibly a defect in the air duct that supplies the cold air to the refrigerator section.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, I mean inside the interior walls for the return air duct, thus you'd need a new refrigerator under warranty.

Jake

pbcd

Premium Member
No, I mean inside the interior walls for the return air duct, thus you'd need a new refrigerator under warranty.

Jake
On this particular WRS model the return duct is a short horizontal duct. I can see right thru to the other side. Wonder if WP used the same cooling components from their 22 cu. ft. WRS refrigerator for their larger 25 cu. ft. WRS refrigerator?
Will pursue replacement. Thanks Jake for taking the time to help me with this problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On this particular WRS model the return duct is a short horizontal duct. I can see right thru to the other side. Wonder if WP used the same cooling components from their 22 cu. ft. WRS refrigerator for their larger 25 cu. ft. WRS refrigerator?
I don't have a clue about that, I have not had a service call on this model as of yet.:)

Will pursue replacement.
Yes, please do, and let us know how it goes.:)

Jake