WRS321SDHZ compressor noise?

mesocyclone

Premium Member
Model Number
WRS321SDHZ
Brand
Whirlpool
We previously had an issue with a faulty evaporator fan on this new (<3 month old) model, and already had a warranty service visit (the tech replaced the evap fan&motor).

But now we're having another issue with this brand new fridge: there is a new loud noise, different from before, that seems to be emanating from the underside of the fridge and coincides with the compressor running. This new noise is essentially a loud, sometimes pulsating vibration. Occasionally it's just a moderately loud "hum," but other times it's quite a loud vibration/resonance that sounds slightly mechanical/metallic. It's especially loud right as the compressor starts...and usually dies down somewhat after it's been running for 30 seconds but remains pretty irritating (we can hear it in the bedroom down the hall with the doors closed).

We're somewhat reluctant to have a tech out again for what might be diagnosed (and thus billed, per Whirlpool) as a "customer education" experience, so I'm hoping I can do some low-stakes troubleshooting of my own. I'm hoping that this issue has to do with loose compressor bracket mounts, some loose wiring vibrating nearby, or some other adjustable loose piece of metal/plastic nearby (which I could deal with myself, after unplugging of course), but I'm wondering if anyone else has other thoughts? I did buy two small rubber "sound dampeners" that I believe are supposed to adhere to the compressor itself, in case I can't find any other source for the new sound, but I don't know if those are likely to make much of a difference.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Make a video of this noise and upload it to Youtube or share it on Google Drive or Dropbox and post the link here.:)

Jake