• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRS321SDHZ05 Whirlpool side-by-side water no longer flowing to door or ice maker

WilloSF

Premium Member
Model Number
WRS321SDHZ05
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi. I see lots of threads about water no longer flowing in Whirlpool models but none for this model number. After vaccinations I came back to TN to visit and help my mother. Her Whirlpool side-by-side WRS321SDHZ05 was just purchased and installed about 5 months ago and water is no longer flowing to the door to to the ice maker. I only noticed because the ice ran out (I don't think she uses the ice maker much if that matters).

It's under warranty as it is only 5 months old, but calling Whirlpool they said the earliest they could get a service person out to us would be two weeks. They also said to replace the water filter (EveryDrop 1, inserted near the floor), which I did to no effect. They also said we could put in a water bypass plug (not cap), but I can't find those featured anywhere online.

When the water dispenser on the door impressed it makes sounds like it's trying to pump water, and no water is flowing to the ice maker, Water pressure is great here. And it was working at least a month or two ago. Any suggestions for a lay person?

(there are no leaks or drips)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you actually pull the refrigerator out from the wall and turn off the water supply line and remove the water supply line from the water inlet valve and get a bucket to catch water in and put the water supply line in the bucket and turn the water supply line back on, to double check the water pressure is good?

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If the ice maker doesn't get used you probably have a frozen water tank. Use a hair dryer on a warm setting and go over the water tank a few times. The water tank, which is nothing more than a roll of 1/4" water line, is located in the bottom rear of the FF compartment behind the crispers. It's probably not completely frozen.

That being said, if you do any repairs or replace any parts (other than the water filter) you risk losing your warranty.

WilloSF

Premium Member
Thanks! Found it! Now I just need to borrow a hair dryer and I'll try it. (I'm bald, and my sainted elderly mother only trusts the beauty parlor :) )

Much appreciated!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Turn the refrigerator off or unplug it and leave the refrigerator door open for 10 minutes. That might be enough to thaw it. Food will be OK. If you have a thermometer place it by the water tank. If the temperature is above 32°F it's probably not frozen. It's possible the line in the freezer door is frozen. Disconnect the water line from the coupler under the machine next to the lower freezer door hinge. Get something to catch water and press the dispenser lever.