WRS322FDAB05 Whirlpool Refrigerator Ice maker traps cubes in exit chute

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Where did I lose you Gary? Putty knife? bezel/facade ? Ice maker? Are we working on the same machine? If you see the ice maker you're on the wrong side of the door. We don't have a service manual so I'm going by the parts diagrams. Is this your dispenser? It is if you gave me the right model number.

If this looks like your dispenser read my last post with the pictures of the UI and ice door assy. With the two ramps.........

garyfritz

Premium Member
You suggested I check Youtube, and that's where I got the putty knife ideas. When I got home and checked my fridge, I saw that the videos were not for my ice maker.

Yes that picture looks like mine. So you think the ramp is where the UI's tab locks in? So I just need to figure out how to disengage the UI from the ramp/etc, presumably by sticking the screwdriver into those two holes. I'll give it a try but I might not have a chance to do much with it before I take off on another business trip this weekend.

Thanks for your help & patience, Rick...

garyfritz

Premium Member
OK, one step at a time...

I got the UI off! The pictures really helped me visualize what I had to do. Thanks Rick.

After some futzing I found all the screws and catches for the chute assembly, and now that's out & unplugged.

The only connection is the water hose. It's held on by a U-shaped hold-down thingie (technical term there) with two prongs that hold a peg on the end of the hose. I can't figure out how to release the hose. I can't move the hose to the right; the hold-down is plastic and if I try to bend it up to free the peg, I'll break it off. Any suggestions? Once I get that loose, I'll have the new chute installed in 10 minutes.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
The pictures are too close. I can't tell what I'm looking at. Your description is, well, lets just say I need better pictures...lol

garyfritz

Premium Member
It's the hose that dispenses cold water, right in front of the ice chute:

The nozzle (?) on the end of the hose is shaped kind of like this:

The supply hose goes in the right end (A), the bottom part (B, where water actually comes out) goes through a hole in the bottom of the ice chute assembly, and the little hold-down thingie has two fingers that trap the peg? bump? on the left (C). I can't move the nozzle much -- I can rotate it to the left just a little, but other than that there's not much wiggle room in the hole that the bottom part goes through. The hold-down thingie prevents you from lifting the nozzle out of the hole. I can't work out how to get it out of there without breaking the hold-down. And if I did that, I'm not sure how I would install it in the new ice chute without breaking the new hold-down. I'm missing something.

Does that help?

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
Push the plastic tab until "C" is released then just pull it out. You probably need to go in from the bottom. You can't tell by looking at it how it releases??

garyfritz

Premium Member
I can't tell by looking, I can't tell by poking / prodding / twisting / pulling / etc. I've tried everything I can think of.

If by plastic tab you mean the hold-down, that's the first thing I tried. It's too rigid to bend out of the way. Even prying with a screwdriver doesn't make it flex. If I pry harder it will just snap off. The two "fingers" on the hold-down will flex a little, but even when I managed to work two small screwdrivers in there to pry both fingers at once, it still wouldn't release. It's probably possible, but it takes a better tool or a better repair expert.

The nozzle part isn't quite as rigid, but it's almost immobilized. It's trapped between the hold-down and the side of the hole it pokes through. I can wiggle it a little but that's it.

Here's a view of the hole (from above) that the nozzle (B) pokes through. (This is the new part, obviously!) The round hole is a snug fit on the nozzle, so you can't move it in any sideways direction, and the hold-down prevents you from lifting it out. The long end of the nozzle (A) and the hose lie in the little channel to the right of the hole. I can lift the hose a little, but the nozzle is so tight in the hole that it won't move much.

I'm stymied. I'm about ready to go in there with an X-acto knife and see if I can slice off the peg (C) on the end. Or just snap off the hold-down. I don't like to "fix" things like that, but I can't see why you'd need it -- the nozzle was zip-tied in there in the original installation. The hold-down seems completely unnecessary.

I wonder if it was designed to be "unfixable" ? Possibly they assembled it by just pushing the nozzle down into that hole. With enough force from the nozzle being pushed in, the peg (C) might slip past the hold-down, and then the hold-down would spring back into place and trap the peg. But I don't see any way to apply that much force while I'm lifting the nozzle out. It may be time to break stuff.

Last edited:

garyfritz

Premium Member
Ahhh!!! I kept fooling with it, and I finally managed to work enough screwdrivers in there to bend the hold-down out of the way. I half sheared off the peg (C) when I forced the nozzle out, but I was thinking of cutting that off anyway.

I snipped off a bit more of the peg while I had it out in the open. I think I was right, I think they used some force to push the nozzle into the hole so the peg pushed the hold-down out of the way. It goes in pretty easily now. :)

I will be very surprised if this actually fixes the "spitting cubes on the floor" problem. The parts look identical, and the door-close action seems exactly the same. The old one is marked "DWG W10397453, SAE ABS/PC, CAV.1." The new part# is the same, except "CAV.5." We'll see...

Thanks again for your patience and help, Rick!