FIXED WRS322FDAM04 lights slow to light up and are dim

ironsniper1

Premium Member
Model Number
WRS322FDAM04
Brand
Whirlpool
hey everyone, i just moved into a townhome and we have a WRS322FDAM04 whirlpool brand refrigerator and the lights are slow to light up upon opening and are very dim and you cant really see anything, what could the issue be so i can explain to maintenance what to look for? or if need be fix it myself, also there is no light in the freezer is this easy to replace?

EDIT i forgot i am not sure how old this fridge is

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It appears the LED light module is the problem.

Here's the LED light module for your model:
WPW10515058 Light

I haven't replaced one of these LED light modules before myself as of yet, but from reading online, you first remove the LED light shield, then the LED light module looks to have two tabs that you have to release from it and it just drops down so you can replace it.

Jake

ironsniper1

Premium Member
thanks for the reply, do those caps on the board ever go bad? if so and thats my issue i could just take it apart figure out what i need and solder in some new ones

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know if the capacitors on that module are the problem, as techs we just replace that module per the manufacturer, we don't replace parts on the module itself.

Jake

Hi,

I ran into the same issue with my refrigerator. Were you able to figure out the problem in the light module? It will be of great help if you could share if you were able to solve the issue and if yes, how you did it..

Thanks!

okrah

Premium Member
Re: the lights in the cooler are very dim, and there is no light in the freezer

I had the same problem. The LED module in my freezer was bad (1 of 4 LEDs on the board was open circuit). When I repaired the freezer module, all 3 light modules were full bright again.

The part number on my freezer module is WPW10515057, but double check yours when you pull it out before ordering a replacement.

From what I've seen on these forums, a lot of these freezer modules fail. Probably due to the thermal cycling from the defroster heater. All 12 LEDs in all 3 LED modules are all wired in series, like a string of cheap Christmas lights. When 1 LED fails, they all go dark. It's a really bad design.

kaptn

Premium Member
okrah,

Thank you for your reply. I think you just helped me solve my problem. I have the same issue with fridge. I replaced the WPW10515058 module assembly but that did not solve my issue. I think I will have to order the WPW10515057 now.

okrah

Premium Member
kaptn,
As long as 2 of the 3 modules are at least dimly lit, they are fine. It's the totally dark module that's bad, and it's usually the module in the freezer.

I was too cheap (and impatient) to spend money on a bad LED, and I didn't have a suitable LED in the shop. So... I soldered in a stack of diodes in place of the bad LED to fake a 3V LED voltage drop. The module now has only 3 functional LEDs now, but still plenty bright.

Attachments