• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRS555SIHZ06 Whirlpool fridge door doesn't seal

_user_name_

Premium Member
Model Number
WRS555SIHZ06
Brand
Whirlpool
i have a brand new side-by-side fridge (just delivered) and the fridge door doesn't seal on the top left corner (and about half way down the left side). Lowes won't send anyone out until tomorrow and I have coolers of food that need to be put away.

Anyone know some quick checks or adjustments that i can do to fix this? I've taken out all of the shelving, the gasket looks clean and clear of any obstruction. I can press on the door to close it, but it pops right back out.

screenshots included

Attachments

• PXL_20220527_192113386.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220527_192113386.PORTRAIT.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20220527_214450664.jpg
    PXL_20220527_214450664.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 29

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Were the doors removed for delivery or installation?

If not, you can make sure none of the gasket has pulled out of the door mounting slightly. You can also soak a cloth in as hot of water as you can stand and knead the gasket to soften gasket material, especially toward the hinge side. Those gaskets will compress slightly over time. If a portion is just misshapen from shipping it will often settle quickly.

I have coolers of food that need to be put away.

I don't see any reason you can't stock the fridge. I really doubt they'll replace it for just that and any fix is unlikely to require it being emptied. Maybe don't buy any more groceries until you know what's the cause.

JMO

Dan O.

_user_name_

Premium Member
Hey Dan

Thanks for the reply. The doors were not removed as far as I know, and the gasket seems to be in place all the way around. I'll give the hot water a try and see if that helps

I didn't want to stock the fridge just yet because it doesn't seem to be getting colder than ~50 degrees. still periodically checking though

edit:
it is down to about 42 now. so i'll keep waiting.

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Yes, once it cools down.

Running it with the small gap at the gasket shouldn't affect it much.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
How did you make out with this? Others might be interested in knowing.

Dan O.

_user_name_

Premium Member
Hey Dan,

Lowes stood me up and never came out (frustrating experience, to say the least)

The gasket eventually expanded (after about 4-5 days) and it seems like the door is sealing, and the temp seems to be holding well. The fridge door still sticks out a little further than the freezer, but it doesn't appear to affect the functionality.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Thanks for the followup. The door might settle in further with time.

You might want to let Whirlpool and the dealer know so they have a record though. Usually cosmetic things are only covered by warranty for 30-90 days. They might offer a couple of bucks settlement in place of inspecting it if it doesn't bother you too much?

Dan O.