FIXED WRS571CIDM01 Ice maker will not cycle - no ice production

LCBEL

Premium Member
Model Number
WRS571CID
Brand
Whirlpool
I recently disconnected my refrigerator from the water source for about two weeks. After a couple of days I heard the ice maker trying to cycle and fill with water. I turned the ice maker off with the switch behind the ice bucket in the freezer door. When I reattached the refrigerator to the water source, I now have no ice production.

I have entered diagnostic mode and run several tests (see attached service sheet). The two that do not seem to pass are #44 & 45. When I run 44, it starts with code 2, I use the "change setting key" to initiate the harvest and the digit 1, flashes for a while then changes to 12, flashes a while then changes to 23. During this test I do not hear the ice maker motor running or any attempt to fill with water.

When I run 45, the code 01 flashes constantly as if the tray never makes it to home position. Again, I do not hear any motor sounds. The "change setting key" is inoperable until the tray reaches the home position. Therefore, I cannot initiate water fill test. I successfully ran the following test #s 16, 17, 19, 47 & 48.

I have replaced the ice maker and switched out the main control board. I have tested the three water valves for continuity Main .249(Inlet valve), Water .253, Ice .198(Combo valve). I manually tested the ice maker switch, bucket present switch, and the bucket full switch which all seem to be working properly. Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you check your voltages on the main control board?

P7 is the ice maker voltage readings.

Jake

LCBEL

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply!

I have now. I am getting the following VDC readings:

P7-1 to P7-2 = 3.98V
P7-3 to P7-4 = 0.2 mV
P7-5 to P7-6 = 1.1 mV

The refrigerator is powered and the Ice Machine switch is on.

I entered diagnostic mode and have the following readings:

P7-1 to P7-2 = 3.98V
P7-3 to P7-4 = 0.2 mV
P7-5 to P7-6 = 13.17V

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

P7-3 to P7-4 should be 14 Volts DC, so there lies the problem. You have a broken wire on either the P7-3 Orange wire, or P7-4 Yellow wire. You will need to back trace those two wires to find the break.

Usually I see these wires break as the come up into the the door, so remove the bottom kickplate grille and you will see the wire harness going into the door.

Lots of members have found frayed and broken wires causing the ice maker/and or auger motor to be dead. Remove the black wire harness loom too, broken wires can be underneath it.

Another member was having a similar problem here: FIXED: GSF26C4EXY02 Whirlpool Gold Ice Maker Problem Look at his post #6 he found frayed and broken wires underneath the freezer door.

Here's another one with the same thing about the frayed and broken wires: FIXED: 106.51173310 Kenmore elite ice maker not working - no led light

Here's another: FIXED: Whirlpool WSF26C2EXF01 Door Icemaker Not Working

Let us know what you find.

Jake

LCBEL

Premium Member
Jake,

Sorry for the reply delay. I actually finished the repair on 10/07/18 and attempted to post this reply the next day. Today I checked the thread and did not see my post. However, I was able to retrieve the "auto save" version as follows:

The great news is that I have a full bucket of ice! Your guidance and nudging has been a great learning experience for me. I truly appreciate you taking the time to assist me.

Based on your advice above, I located the wire harness at the bottom of the door that corresponds with the P7 terminals on the control board. I then checked continuity of the yellow and orange wires. Those two checked out. I continued to check each wire in this bundle and determined the black wire showed no continuity. (This wire runs through two switches before making it to the ice machine motor so I isolated the switches as I tested.) A visible break was not immediately evident.

Therefore, I then cut open the 8" plastic/rubber wire loom from one side about half way so I could access the entire black wire for further inspection. I basically rolled the wire in a mild bend watching for deformation. Within a couple of inches of the bend up into the door, the wire did not hold its shape and formed a 90 degree bend. I cut it at this point and checked continuity both ways and it checked out. I then used solder and heat shrink to repair the tiny (26 awg?) wire. I used 3M Friction Tape to repair the wire loom.

My only confusion relates to the voltage numbers I provided in the first place. I am having trouble getting correct readings, even after the repair. I am putting the refrigerator in diagnostic mode and probing the back of the small connector attached to the control board at P-7 terminals 1-6. My test lead points are too large for the connector so I made a couple of probes from some 22 awg solid wire. I then used alligator clips to attach the wire probes to my leads. Please advise if you have time and any suggestions of what I am doing wrong.

Thanks again for the assistance!
Larry

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The great news is that I have a full bucket of ice!
Excellent Larry, glad you found the black wire was the culprit.:)

Thanks for the update!

For your voltage reading it should normal now, so maybe there is a problem with your meter, or the meter battery is low, but as long as you have ice I wouldn't worry about it.:)

Jake

Madmanakis

Thanks for solving my problem

Just wanted to let you all know that you helped someone else with the same problem. I had gotten as far as replacing the ice maker and when the problem was persistent, I looked harder and found this forum thread.

I had one clear break and one sneaky one. Coincidence or maybe an indication of wire quality, my black wire also had a break internal to the insulation that I found by feeling the length of the wire near the section that bends.

Now I just hope that my repair holds. If I get more breaks I may have to add a few feet of wire and try to add some flex relief coils to try and keep fatigue breaks from happening again.

I doesn't give me hope for a long life on something that is only two years old, but I'll gladly take any life I can get out of something I have already payed for.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Madmanakis, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks for the update on yours too!

Jake