• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WRS571CIDM01 - Ice Maker Wiring broken at door

PriorityJosh

Premium Member
Model Number
WRS571CIDM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello,

I researched online and found several issues with these Whirlpool models and broken/frayed wires in the bottom of the freezer door causing no power to the ice maker. I wanted to see if there was any service bulletins or recalls for this model? We attempted to repair the wiring by soldering but the wiring there is broken too far into the door in order to do so.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
We started seeing this problem about 6 months ago. I checked for any service bulletins or recalls and found nothing so far. I ran into this problem a while back on a similar model. I disconnected the ice maker connection and on/off switch connector and I was able to pull the wires through the lower hinge far enough to solder.

Attachments

• cut wires.jpg
    cut wires.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 1,101
  • FREEZER DOOR - b4.jpg
    FREEZER DOOR - b4.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 625
  • 1563160181977.jpeg
    1563160181977.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 994

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick is right!

Also, you may want to add extra wiring at the bottom of the door when you solder the wires back together, so you give it more slack not to break again.:)

Jake

PriorityJosh

Premium Member
Hey Jake and Rick,

Thanks for checking on this for me! We were able to pull out the wiring and was able to get enough slack to solder. Such a poor design of a model.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Josh, good job. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

alejandrito1

Premium Member
We started seeing this problem about 6 months ago. I checked for any service bulletins or recalls and found nothing so far. I ran into this problem a while back on a similar model. I disconnected the ice maker connection and on/off switch connector and I was able to pull the wires through the lower hinge far enough to solder.
Hello. I have the same problem with my ice maker. What gauge are these wires?

alejandrito1

Premium Member
Rick is right!

Also, you may want to add extra wiring at the bottom of the door when you solder the wires back together, so you give it more slack not to break again.:)

Jake
I have the same problem with my ice maker. I am going to try to repair by adding extra length to the wires to give it more slack, as suggested here. What gauge should I ask for?