• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRS571CIDM01 Whirlpool side by side refrigerator - ice maker shut off arm will not lower

CaptScott

Model Number
WRS571CIDM01
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool side by side manufactured in October 2016 model WRS571CIDM01. My mother-in-law left the ice bin hanging open and I found it a couple of days later and closed it. The machine has not made ice for several days since finding the bin not closed properly. Trying to figure out why it won't make ice and realized that the ice shut off arm will not lower. I removed the ice maker tray assembly and can't get the arm to move from the up (off) position. Do I need to replace the ice maker or is there another reason that the arm seems to be stuck? Is there a repair/troubleshooting manual available?

Attachments

• IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 66

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The ice maker has an automatic shutoff to keep the storage bin from overfilling during normal operation. As ice is made, the ice cubes will fill the ice storage bin, and the ice cubes will raise the shutoff arm to the OFF (arm up) position. When the storage bin is at full capacity, the ice maker will automatically stop ice production, but the ice maker On/Off switch will remain in the ON (up) position.

So it looks like the arm is up which should tell the ice maker to stop making ice. So if the arm will not lower, then your ice maker is bad. Don't force the arm down, it should lower on its own, which it does not look like its doing.

The switch on the ice maker is suppose to be in the ON position for it to make ice.

Here's your ice maker tech data sheet that has troubleshooting in it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cM55ONghMG_V99Hdd-ysfueTDjV9Uvsq

Here's your tech. data sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t_pGWAT3k31JaJu5bbsPSeFoKyQWw_6i/view?usp=sharing

Go into the diagnostics and do step 44 which will force cycle the ice maker, and step 45 which will test water fill to the ice maker.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
W10873791 Ice Maker

Jake