• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRS571CIHZ01 Whirlpool Refrigerator - Noise coming from Fresh Flow compartment

GoEagles

Premium Member
Model Number
WRS571CIHZ01
Brand
Whirlpool
I have seen something similar discussed for other models and the noise is described as a Model T which is pretty accurate. I suspect it is the air damper but it appears to be working as cold air is coming out of the top of the plastic housing. The noise is annoying and it didn’t happen during the first 3 months of operation. So is the noise a sign that the damper may eventually fail or can it be corrected by some means other than replacement? Maybe the damper door is frozen open or something like that? Does anyone know what this is and why this happens? The noise is most often noticed when the compressor or fan is running and the door is opened. The noise stops about 4 or 5 seconds after the door is opened. Sometimes the noise can be heard when the door is closed and it lasts about 10 seconds.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the air damper for your model:
W11164593 Diffuser

Open the water filter door and remove the filter. Remove the ¼” screw securing the air damper (diffuser) cover to the cabinet. Remove the air damper cover.

If your refrigerator is LESS THAN 1 YEAR OLD, you will need to Contact Whirlpool at 1-866-698-2538 to come out under warranty to fix it for free.

Yes, usually it's the air damper itself that's the problem when it makes this Model T noise.:)

Jake

GoEagles

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I have a call into Whirlpool service and it will be a little over a week before they can come out. Hopefully it will limp along until then. Thanks again for the reply.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good. Yes, it should still cool properly even with that noise.

Let us know how it goes when the tech. comes out.

Happy New Year!

Jake