• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WRS588FIHZ Styrofoam behind EasyFlow air filter

jandvs

Premium Member
Model Number
WRS588FIHZ
Brand
Whirlpool
I just had a brand new fridge delivered and installed today. When putting in the air filter, I noticed this large block of styrofoam behind where the FreshFlow air filter goes. Is this supposed to stay there? see pic

Attachments

Last edited:

jandvs

Premium Member
Thanks. Never thought of looking up the part like that. Not that I knew what it was called. It finally got down to about 40F. It's set to 37F. So I guess it's working as intended.

Thanks again.

CWRIGHTGA

Hey Jeff,
I was wondering if you have seen any posts regarding an unusual noise this damper control assembly/fresh flow air filter holder makes? Sort of sounds like an model T running and it runs the same amount as the condenser (maybe one in the same). I say unusual because I’ve never heard a noise like that coming from the inside of a refrigerator.
Attached a video.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
*I* have not see none myself, but I have read about others having noise issues with this style one :(

jeff.

Kahhe01

Premium Member
Hi. I’ve read the thread above. I am wondering however if the styrofoam stays in place how does anyone bake at all filter through??? It seems like the styrofoam completely blocks any ventilation.
I only noticed this because I ammwoneering why my 1.5 year old refrigerator suddenly is not maintaining the cold temperature I set? It seems warm. To pre-answer any questions, no there has been no interruption of power, no it is not over stuffed, yes the seal appears intact and sealed, no I did not leave the door open. I’ve noticed this for three days. Also regarding said temperature - it seems the temp only allows you to “set” it at a desired temp but does not reflect the actual temperature inside the fridge/freezer. Is this true? Should I have a separate thermometer freestanding in the fridge?
Related/unrelated? Ice dispenser does not dispense or even fill the tray with water to make ice. Thank you for any help.

Weeze

Hey Jeff,
I was wondering if you have seen any posts regarding an unusual noise this damper control assembly/fresh flow air filter holder makes? Sort of sounds like an model T running and it runs the same amount as the condenser (maybe one in the same). I say unusual because I’ve never heard a noise like that coming from the inside of a refrigerator.
Attached a video.
I have the same problem with my frig also. And it comes from the fresh flow box. I can feel it when it happens.

jordanpg

I am also hearing the "Model T" noise from a brand new Whirlpool model WRS588FIHZ from the Fresh Flow filter.

Anecdotally, I notice the noise when I open the refrigerator door. I don't think it runs constantly or when the door is closed, but not 100% sure.

marob

Premium Member
I know this thread was originally started for a different reason, but an internet search brought me here. I too have the same Model-T sound mentioned about half way up the thread. I can conform it is the damper opening and closing. When you open the door of the fridge while it is cooling, the damper will close, and you will hear the Model-T sound. Mine takes about 10 seconds for the damper to close, and the Model-T sound stops. When you close the door, the damper will open again, and if you listen closely you can hear the sound through the door. Again, it should take about 10 seconds to open fully. If you want to investigate further, open the fridge door and hold down the door button on your upper right. The damper will completely close and then open again and stop (takes about 20 seconds), as long as you keep your finger on the door button. After it stops, put your other hand over the long rectangular opening at the top of the damper assembly and you should feel air blowing out softly. Keep in mind this will only happen if the fridge is actively cooling and you have your finger on the door button.

Alternatively, you can also pull the damper assembly out (like I did) and watch the damper open and close to see it working. To do this, you'll need a 1/4" hex nut driver. There is one screw holding the white plastic cover on. It is on the side of the cover in the small square opening, towards the front of the fridge. The cover then should pull out. To remove the damper assembly, just pull it out. It's just wedged in there so it might feel kind of stuck. With it out, you can press the door button again and you can watch the damper (on the back side) open/close.

Now to the real issue. I know my damper wasn't making this Model-T sound when the fridge was new. It is only 6 months old...is the damper going to fail soon? I guess time will tell. I'll post back here if anything changes with the operation, but for now, the noise is simply a nuisance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This Model-T noise should not be happening, if your refrigerator is only 6 months old, you will need to Contact Whirlpool at 1-866-698-2538 to come out under warranty to fix it for free.

Yes, usually it's the air damper itself that's the problem when it makes this Model T noise.:)

Jake

dajwildcat

I also have the Whirlpool WRS588FIHZ and have issues with items freezing on the top 2 shelves of the refrigerator. I was looking at the foam around the damper control and noticed cold air comes out of a horizontal opening on the front as well as a square opening on the bottom. The square opening on the bottom seems to push cold air straight down onto the items sitting at the top of the fridge. I was wondering if it is possible if too much cold air is coming out into the fridge causing items to freeze. Would closing off the small square opening on the bottom to let less cold air out cause any issues?

I do not have the the Model-T noise that others have and damper does seem to be opening and closing properly.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

marob

Premium Member
Try adjusting the fridge side temp up. Mine would occasionally freeze something on the top shelf, so I raised the set point a couple degrees and I haven't had anything freeze since then.

teeme73

Premium Member
How do you get the factory blue tap off of the styrofoam behind where the filter sits? The hard outer plastic housing covers the styrofoam and blue tape that wrapped around the bottom to cover the door that you open to insert the filter.