WRS588FIHZ00 Ice maker not producing ice

Dyablo

Premium Member
Model Number
WRS588FIHZ00
Brand
Whirlpool
About 3 days ago i noticed no new ice were being made. There are ice cubes in tray but it won't cycle them out any more. Tried resetting power to fridge and also put in new water filter. Got the fridge new with our home in october 2017 and already having issues.

Tried looking online on how to enter diagnostics mode but could not find any info. Anything i can try to figure out what i need to replace? before having to call out a repair company on my dime.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I'll our ask our other tech bigbuck if he has the tech. data sheet for your model.

Hold tight, he's usually here soon.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Dyablo

Premium Member
thanks guys, so i ran test 44 and it looks like "Switch faulty or motor (Time out = 20 seconds)" is the result. it won't harvest ice.

safe to say the ice maker thing needs to be replaced?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you are exactly right.:)

Let us know how it goes after you replace it.

Jake

Dyablo

Premium Member
well new part arrived and replaced. still won't make ice keeps coming back with the same result: test 44 -"Switch faulty or motor (Time out = 20 seconds)"

it does not try to even move the arm or tray. does not fill with water either. now I'm not hearing the end of it from the wife. :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Where did you get the new ice maker from?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unplug the refrigerator for 5 minutes, then plug it in, and give it 24 hours to start making ice.

Jake

Dyablo

Premium Member
Didn’t work. I’ll note that when I removed the old ice marker unit the ice cubes that were there were not full size. Like it didn’t fill with water all the way the last time it worked.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

I just remembered something, lots of members have found frayed and broken wires causing the ice maker/and or auger motor to be dead. Remove your bottom kickplate grille, Remove the black wire harness loom too, broken wires can be underneath it.

Another member was having a similar problem here: FIXED: GSF26C4EXY02 Whirlpool Gold Ice Maker Problem Look at his post #6 he found frayed and broken wires underneath the freezer door, remove your kickplate and check for that first.

Here's another one with the same thing about the frayed and broken wires: FIXED: 106.51173310 Kenmore elite ice maker not working - no led light

Here's another: FIXED: Whirlpool WSF26C2EXF01 Door Icemaker Not Working

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Dyablo

Premium Member
Jake, took a look at the wire loom. And it did have 3 wires broken where the wires bend when opening and closing door.

Repaired them, now to see if ice reruns.

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
it did have 3 wires broken where the wires bend when opening and closing door.
BINGO.:)

Damn, my memory isn't as good as it once was or I would of told you to check that first.:)

Jake

Dyablo

Premium Member
regret to inform we still don't have ice. tray will harvest in diagnostics mode. But it does not appear the water valve is not opening. disconnected both water lines down at the kick plate and the bigger one will put out water if using the dispenser regularly. Once in process 45 no hose will put out water when pressing dispenser.

chances that the valve got messed up at the exact same time the 3 wires got cut down at the door?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
chances that the valve got messed up at the exact same time the 3 wires got cut down at the door?
Yes, possibly shorted it out.

Put your multimeter probes in the electrical connector that goes to the single water inlet valve, then Run service test #45- Ice Maker Water Fill Test, and see if your meter says 120 volts. Do the same on the ice maker solenoid side of the dual water inlet valve and see if you get 120 volts.

Here's the single water inlet valve for your model:
WPW10238100 Valve

Here's the dual water inlet valve for your model:
Water Inlet Valve WPW10341320

Let us know what you find.

Jake