• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WRT311FZDM00 Whirlpool Refrigerator - Ice in the freezer

AKC

Premium Member
Model Number
WRT311FZDM00
Brand
Whirlpool
I know why I get ice in my freezer (every third day). ... The drain hole at the back of my freezer needs to be unclogged. If someone could tell me how to unclog it and most importantly, if someone could tell me how to remove the back panel of the freezer to access the drain hole.
Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Watch this video, it shows you:
The metal strap should be in your defrost drain hole, if its clogged with ice, you will need a hair dryer and hot water to melt the ice that's covering the defrost drain hole. You have a drain pan underneath the refrigerator that will catch the defrost drain water.

Then run something down the defrost drain hole/drain line. I use a evaporator cooler spider snake: http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Products/Cooler-Spider-Snake__CLR4690.aspx

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads.

I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

AKC

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply. Attached is a picture of the back of the freezer. There are only two screws that I see on the top corners. Are those the only two screws holding the panel? Or does the grey “column” with the temperature regulator have to be removed first. If so, how would I do that? I am having a hard time taking the panel off, can I use a lot of force to pry it off?

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
See that small cut-out in the middle of your gray air vent? You need to unsnap that off with a small flathead screwdriver then there will be a screw you will see, remove that screw as well along with the two top screws of your back panel.

Jake

AKC

Premium Member
Hello Jake,

Thank you for your help, I managed to open the back panel. I started to put some hot water down the drain hole to try and unclog it but the hot water does not seem to be going down the drain hole and I don’t hear the water draining. Could it be because the heat probe is still attached? Could I detach the probe for the time being and then reinstall it after? Or should I try and put a pipe cleaner in the drain to see where the clog is? Thank you again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, remove the probe from the drain hole, then run something down it like I mentioned above.:)

Jake

AKC

Premium Member
Thank you so much for your help! It seems to have worked so far! I didn’t have to remove the probe nor did I run anything down the drain. But it’s been over two weeks now and there has been no ice. Keeping my fingers crossed! :) Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent AKC, glad to hear that. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake