WRT318FZDW00 Looking for service manual

bsaucer

Premium Member
Model
WRT318FZDW00
Brand
Whirlpool
I'm looking for a service manual, or instructions on doing diagnostics. Person donating refrigerator said something about it either getting too cold, or ice buildup. I haven't had it plugged in long enough to observe any symptoms, yet.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I think this is the same as yours :
WRT318-1.jpg

Unit must be in the minimum temperature setting (D9 on).

Press switch 1 and hold the door switch for 5 seconds.

Release the button when all the LEDs turn on. .After 10 seconds all the LEDs will turn on and off. The display will show D9 on to indicate the control is in step 1 of the diagnostics

WRT318-2.jpg

Each step must be advanced manually. Press switch 1 to move to the next step.

A minimum of 5 seconds is needed for each step for system stabilization.

While in step 7, press switch 1. If there’s a fail condition all four LEDs will start blinking. Press switch 1 again to display the load failure.

WRT318-3.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
Cool! I have a question for you. How many refrigerators, would you say, do you get a month that you fix and sell? What do you do to check them before you sell them? Have you ever used a temperature logger before?

bsaucer

Premium Member
After a visual inspection, I plug it in and observe the operation of the compressor and fans. Using a pair of thermometers, I keep watch for them to reach proper temperature.

Then I initiate a defrost cycle while it's cold and running (whenever possible), and check that the element actually come on. Then I wait for the timer to advance back into run mode. On some GE models I measure for continuity of the defrost circuit at the motherboard. I also check the thermistor ohms as well.

After defrost is finished, I monitor the temperature some more, to be sure it cools properly again.

As for monthly donations, the numbers vary greatly, sometimes two or three, sometimes a dozen or so.

rickgburton

Staff member
I have a couple Supco LTT Dual probe temperature loggers I'm going to sell. I'm retired and will probably never use them again. They saved me a lot of time. We use to get 5-10 refrigerators a day. At night I would set up the loggers in the machines and in the morning read the charts on my laptop. The charts show the temps cycle on and cycle off plus showed the defrost cycle. I'll let them go for $70 each. I paid $170 each. Amazon has them for $140. Would you be interested?