• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRT3L1SZYB00 Whirlpool Refrigerator - Freezer is not freezing. Compressor is shutting off for extended periods of time.

silky0517

Premium Member
Model Number
WRT3L1SZYB00
Brand
Whirlpool
My Whirlpool WRT3L1SZYB00 refrigerator is having trouble freezing. It starts and sound normal, but then compressor and fans stop running for extended periods of times, so the freezer never reaches proper freezing temperature. Is this a common problem with this model? What is the likely issue? Any help diagnosing? Thanks.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If both fans and compressor shut off together, it is the control system stopping them. On your model that is likely the thermostat.

The next time you find it off when it should be running, try gently tapping (not turning) the control knob with a finger. If the fridge starts right up after that, the thermostat likely has 'sticking' contacts due to age and needs to be replaced.

LINK > WRT3L1SZYB00 Thermostat

Dan O.

silky0517

Premium Member
Thanks Dan O. The fridge is in my rental property, so I haven't witnessed the problem. According to my tenant. today the freezer fan is blowing almost constantly, and the air is a little cold, but nothing is freezing. The refrigerator section is cold enough, but not as cold as expected. I don't know if this additional information is of any diagnostic value, but your time and input will be greatly appreciated.

how do I diagnosis a bad compressor or a sealed system leak? I'm dreading the worst.

Kirk

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I don't know if this additional information is of any diagnostic

If the fans ARE running but the fridge isn't cooling there are several possibilities. Defrosting issues or a problem with the refrigeration system are possible. The link below describes what will need to be investigated to try to determine which might be responsible.

LINK > My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

Checking operation of the compressor and disassembly of the freezer and inspection of the evaporator coil *before any defrosting* are some of the first things that will be needed.

Dan O.