• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRT541SZDW00 Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Leaking

B Allen

Premium Member
Model Number
WRT541SZDW00
Brand
Whirlpool
I got called this week to a Whirlpool Refrigeration, model being: WRT541SZDW00 - circa 2017. Customers complaint, water on top shelf of refrigeration section. I first pulled the evaporator cover and observed the Evaporator & Drain Trough. Evaporator clear, and no icing in the trough. No evidence of a plugged drain and defrost water over spilling the trough. No ice under trough. Went to ceiling area of Refrigerator section. Attempting to find piping route of condensate water to the pan underneath. Found none, thus assuming the piping route is buried in the wall. Pulled the back cover where the condensing unit is at. On the LH side (viewed from back) I found the piping ( or tubing ) from the evaporator. Found a rubber like end (trap ??) and removed same. Found it plugged with debris ( snot like ). Cleaned and removed same. Blew backwards on the pipe and found no resistance. I "assumed" the issue was the plugged trap. Got a call this afternoon, claiming water is still appearing on top shelve of Refrig Section. I am now scratching my head. What else can or should check ??

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Found a rubber like end (trap ??)
The infamous "duckbill" LOL.....Take it off and throw it away. I'll assume there's no ice maker. (If there is, turn it off for 24 hours and see if the leak disappears.) How much water is on the top shelf? Only a couple drops, probably condensation. Adjust the air baffle. More than a couple drops means it has to be coming from the defrost cycle. Look for any ice stuck in the air diffuser.

B Allen

Premium Member
LOL....Yes "duckbill" is a good term for that part. BTW, I could not find that in the Parts Lookup for this model. It is clean now.

YES, there is NO ice maker in this Refrig, BUT it looks like there was one from the Factory. The provisions are all there except of the Ice Maker Mechanism in the freezer.

I can't answer your question as to the extent of water, the lady has a "kitchen towel" on the top shelf and it absorbs the water. I will look for "air infiltration" when I go back next week.

Just was wondering if there any Service Bulletins or Quick Fixes that is beyond the obvious that I checked.

THANK YOU for the reply.

rickgburton

Staff member
If you don't want a call back, you'll take it off and throw it away. There is an update kit that uses a "P" trap but I haven't had any issues with just removing it . If you input the part number for the duckbill it changes to the update kit:
whirlpool-tube-drain-w10619951-ap5780744_01_m.jpg

Attachments

• Replaces the Duck Bill Check Valve.pdf
    293.8 KB · Views: 13

B Allen

Premium Member
UPDATE.....

Well, I made trip back to the Job Site. Looked into the situation deeper. Found the Refrigerator Section Door slightly askew, leaving air gaps in all four corners. With gentle persuasion, I nudged the door into better alignment/geometry. Still did not correct the air gap in each corner. The owner decided that a door gasket replacement was the next step. I looked up the gasket, and notice there was two revisions to this gasket. After waiting for almost three weeks, the gasket finally showed Monday, of this week. Made another trip back to job site with the notion of installing the new gasket. I made sure it was the right size and it was. Knowing there had been some revisions by Whirlpool, I carefully looked at the replacement gasket. It looked totally different in appearance and construction. I tore the OEM gasket out and attempted to install the replacement. No such luck. The replacement gasket was not sealed in one corner, thus the magnet wanted to slide out of it's sleeve. As I rolled back the gasket to view the insertion tab, the hard plastic began to come apart from the rest of the gasket. Now there is two strikes against this gasket. Showed the owner, and she asked if the OEM could be re-installed and I foolishly said yes. After two hours of installing the OEM gasket, I walked away very frustrated. I am a Whirlpool Fan, but this design of the refrigerator door, inner liner, and gasket attachment, makes me wonder if a kindergartner designed this refrigerator. This has to be the most difficult door gasket change I ever experienced. Owner of the refrigerator is looking for a new refrigerator, and not a Whirlpool. Can't blame her.

rickgburton

Staff member
I don't know what you're doing wrong. This is the easiest door gasket to install and should take less than 30 minutes to install. The first one I replaced took less than 5 minutes. If you're door gasket is white, this is the correct gasket: