• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRV976FDEM01 Whirlpool ceiling mounted ice maker drips into door ice dispenser

mjgiersberg

Premium Member
Hi Randy,

I located the service bulletin on this issue.

It says--->The Ice maker may harvest prior to completion of the freezing process. This may cause water or slush to remain in the ice mold during next fill. This results in a double fill and overfilling of the mold.

Correction:
Order and install a new User Interface board. Disconnect power to the refrigerator before replacing the UI board. This is necessary for safety and to reset the board logic.
Note: Always disconnect power before replacing any electrical component.
Note: Clean any water out of the bottom of the ice maker box.

What color is yours Gray or Black?

Here's the Gray user interface board for your model you can order:
User Interface Control Board WPW10590573

Here's the Black user interface board for your model you can order:
User Interface Control Board WPW10590576

Jake

Jake - Any chance you have a copy or link to this service bulletin? I have been chasing this leaking ice maker gremlin for a long time. I had given up for a while, but am at it again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you have the exact same model number WRF736SDAM11 ? Make sure please, the model number tag is located inside the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling. Also post your serial number.

Serial Numbers: Serial Numbers Prior to K332

Here it is:

Attachments

• servicepointer-w10545062-doublefill.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 30

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait I just noticed something, that kit is for WRF736SDAM10 not WRF736SDAM11

Jake

mjgiersberg

Premium Member
Do you have the exact same model number WRF736SDAM11 ? Make sure please, the model number tag is located inside the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling. Also post your serial number.

Serial Numbers: Serial Numbers Prior to K332

Here it is:
It is actually a different Model number. I just thought maybe with the similar problem/symptoms that the bulletin may help, if I ordered the correct parts per my model number.

Model: WRV976FDEM01
Serial: K64511824

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, that kit is not for your model at all, sorry.

If you turn the ice maker OFF, the leak stops? If so, then its possibly the ice maker overfilling itself.

Here's the ice maker for your model: W11294907 Icemaker

This video shows you how to access it:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I moved your posts to a NEW THREAD, since you had a different model number.

Jake

mjgiersberg

Premium Member
Correct, the remedy for the time being to stop the leak has been to not use the ice maker. When it is off, the leak stops. Only seems to leak when there is ice in the bin.

I had tried a few things in the past such as new bin seal, new ice chute flapper door and seal. At that time I was thinking warm air may be getting in and melting the ice causing the leak.

I also ran the diagnostics and do not get any error codes, the motor finds home ok, etc.

Last edited:

mjgiersberg

Premium Member
Just to expand on the issue we have been having. What we first noticed was water leaking from the ice chute down into the dispenser drip tray. The leak seemed to be fairly continuous while the ice maker was on. Upon further inspection we actually noticed the water would run under the drip tray and out through a hole in the bottom of the door. From there the water was trickling down onto the pantry drawer and appears to have shorted out he pantry/deli door display/circuit board as well.

Whether it is from ice melting, ice maker overfilling, or the ice maker harvesting before the freeze is complete that is what I am trying to figure out and remedy.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that's going to be difficult to locate where that leak is coming from, you may want to have a Whirlpool tech. come out at 1-866-698-2538, this will be something they can locate better than I.

I would need to be there at the unit to find the leak, its impossible just on this forum.

Jake

mjgiersberg

Premium Member
Understood.
Based on the fact that it doesn't leak when the ice maker is off, leads me to believe it is directly related to the ice maker in some way. Either a faulty ice maker that is overfilling or harvesting early, a water valve not operating properly and overfilling, or a faulty user control/main board. This of course is all based on internet research and no actual tech experience.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's what the tech will need to do, is force the ice maker to cycle and watch it fill with water.

Jake