• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRV986FDEM01 French Door Upper Fridge Ice Maker Makes Ice then melts

JDubw

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool WRV986FDEM01 French Door Refrigerator/Freezer that is has an upper ice maker in the fridge section. It makes ice, dumps it into the ice bin for the door dispenser, but melts. I ran diagnostic sevice tests using the Tech codes provided on the Tech sheet for the ICE maker of 56 for ICE MAKER ERROR CODES and it gave me the code E0 which means no errors. I also ran a few other tests and all seemed fine. The only one that I am not sure of is when I ran the service test 36 for the ICE BOX FAN and it should allow me to cycle the ice box fan on and off. When I select on I do not hear anything (no fan noise). The fridge seems cold and there appears to be no other issues. I am wondering if the ice box fan needs to be replaced?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, I'm attaching the tech data sheet for your model below. You will need a multimeter to do voltage checks. Then get access to the Ice Box Fan and check for 14 Volts DC across any of the 3 wires while in Service Test 36 with the fan ON . If the voltage is correct then your Ice Box Fan is bad and you will need to order it.

Service Test - 36 Ice Box Fan
• Check for fan operation. Control Ice Box Fan using SW3. Display the status on Temp Display.
(01 = ON, 02 = OFF). Verify air flow from the IB fan.

Here's the ice box fan for your model(Video to get access/replace it is in the part link):
Fan Motor W10846539

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

• tech-sheet-W10849496-RevA.pdf
    589.9 KB · Views: 27

JDubw

Premium Member
Jake, Thank you for your reply, it was very kind of you. Anyway, I want to make sure what you wrote. You said if the voltage for the ice box fan is 14v DC then it is bad? What is the correct voltage and is it variable depending on speed? Right now the ice box fan is running. When I employ the Tech service test 36. It sounds a bit slow (I don't know what it sounded like before), but 01 its on and 02 off. I think I may have a different issue as I did discover some noticeable icing in the (upper) fridge evaporator and a clump of ice in the bottom freezer (lower) evaporator.

I ran some other service tests:

Service test 3 Evaporator fan motor and air baffle motor all fans and I think air damper open and close when SW3 01 = off and 02 = on. Depressing SW3 03 it cycles 13/23 and again I hear the fans and I think the air damper. I have some air movement through the upper fridge vents although not a strong. NOTE: I never saw 912 displayed. Depressing SW3 04 both fans are on.

Service test 6 Defrost Heater/Sensor gave me an 03 = pass

Service test 36 Ice Box Fan turned on and off the ice box fan as previously noted above

Service test 39 RC Evap Thermistor gave me a 01 = pass

Service test 32 Ambient Thermistor UI Control gave me a 01 = pass

Service test 33 Humidity Sensor UI Control gave me a 42% which the tech sheet says passes

I defrosted the WRV986FDEM01 after finding the ice in the evaporators (see attached pictures)
WRV986FDEM01 Lower Freezer Evap 1.jpgWRV986FDEM01 Lower Freezer Evap 2.jpgWRV986FDEM01 Lower Freezer Evap Ice Clump 1.jpgWRV986FDEM01 Lower Freezer Evap Ice Clump 2.jpgWRV986FDEM01 Upper Evap .jpgWRV986FDEM01 Upper Fridge Cabinet.jpg

I also vacuumed off the condenser that is located under the fridge, it was very dusty and appeared clogged. I have restarted it again as I need to put back my perishables.

I know that we have used the fridge a lot (open, close, open, close) and it has been hot 85+ degrees in the kitchen area due to a current heatwave. My concerns are that I didn't see the the 912 code during my service test 3 and of course the icing in the evaporators.

I appreciate your help and any further knowledge you may give towards my cooling issue.

Thank you,

John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The ice box fan does not say in the tech data sheet what different speeds it runs at, so I can't answer that.

All your other fans are working, that is good.

So I'm not sure what the problem was on yours John, just put it back together and let it run and see what it does.

Keep a freezer thermometer in your freezer at all times please, I will need to know the real time temperature of the freezer if it happens again. Walmart and Target sells freezer thermometers, get the liquid or digital style.

Jake