WRV986FDEM01 fridge/freezer not cold no water or ice?

williamarp

Premium Member
Model
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a WRV986FDEM01 whirlpool refrigerator. I am a do it myself type of guy, here are my issues please! Let me know if you can help. To start the freezer and the fridge dont get very cold. The temperature is set but nothing really working that well. I have my own thermostat in the back of the fridge reading at 40 degrees.

I've opened up the back panel of the freezer and see that the fan is not functional which is part of the cooling process to spread the cold air throughout the freezer not sure if it's a voltage issue or a computer issue. I held the thermostat in my hand to see if I could get the fan to engage, it didnt.

Theres plenty of frost built up so I doubt it's a compressor issue or coolant issue. When I unplugged my "special " drawer with the temperature selector my water and ice maker started to work but only the bottom one not the top and the lights in my fridge turned on ( they have been off) with it plugged in, I have no water/ice/ or lights throughout my fridge.

Not sure what to do at this point.. its driving me up a wall.
Also I'm in the military and have very little time to fix it during the day only have time during the weekend really.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Thank you for your service!

Since you Disconnected the Pantry UI control board and everything started working properly again. That's the part you will need to order and replace.

Here's the Pantry UI control board for your model: WPW10677119.

Now your evaporator fan motor in the freezer is not running at all? I just asked our other tech bigbuck if he could post your tech data sheet, then we can tell you how to volt test it from the control board.

Here's the freezer evaporator fan motor for your model:
W11109595 Motor-Evap

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE
Use this image of the control for your switch numbers:
R-displayswitch numbers.jpg

Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds.

Release both buttons when you hear the CHIME indicator.

Unit must not be in Lockout prior to entering SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE.

The display will show 01 to indicate the control is in step 1 of the diagnostics routine.

Each step must be manually advanced.

Press SW5 to move to the next step in the sequence.

Press SW4 to back up in the sequence to the previous step.

Each step is displayed in the two digits of the dispenser user interface display.

The step results are displayed in the two digits on dispenser user interface display 2 seconds after the step number is displayed.

An amber order filter light will be shown to designate that the step number is being displayed

A red replace filter light will be shown to designate that the status of the step is being displayed.

Service Test 3- Evaporator Fan Motors and Air Baffle Motor

Control the RC and FC evaporator fan motors by pressing SW3 (01= Both fan motors off. 02= FC fan on)

Press SW3 once more. Step 3 will be blinking and advances to steps 13/23 very quickly. The result is RC fan on, Pantry air damper on. The pantry air damper will open and close automatically. 13= damper open. 23= damper closed
Check for air flow in the pantry on the left side when the damper is open. Air flow stops at 23

Press SW3 once more. (04= both RC and FC fans on)

To EXIT SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS MODE:
Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds, disconnect the product from power or wait 20 minutes. Following the exit of the diagnostic mode, the controls will then resume normal operation.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Rick and bigbuck!

Jake

williamarp

Premium Member
So I have entered diagnostic mode but honestly at that point I'm lost. Do I press up or down to get to step 01 for the Fan to turn on? And how do I know if it's bad will red replace filter light stay on.. ?
Currently I'm at step 02 but nothing turns on.

williamarp

Premium Member
I'm looking at about 3 repeating numbers of 12,11 18 but it's really hard to read the numbers it could be 88,82,and 81

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
So I have entered diagnostic mode but honestly at that point I'm lost.
Are you following the steps on the tech sheet or are you following my instructions? I thought I made it easy to follow so lets start where your lost. You pressed SW1 and SW2, heard the chime, and the display is showing 01.
rickgburton said:
The display will show 01 to indicate the control is in step 1 of the diagnostics routine.

We're good so far.

Do I press up or down to get to step 01 for the Fan to turn on?
The evaporator fan motor test is Service Test 03 and you're at service test 01.
rickgburton said:
Each step must be manually advanced. Press SW5 to move to the next step in the sequence. Press SW4to back up in the sequence to the previous step.

Press SW5 until you see 03 (service test 3). The amber "order filter" is on. You're in Service test 3 Now press S​W3

And how do I know if it's bad will red replace filter light stay on.. ?
The diagnostics won't tell you if a part is bad. It just turns the loads on and off. You need to check it. The display will show 01- both fan motors off. Are both fan motors off? The display will show 02- FC fan on. Is the freezer fan on?

rickgburton said:
PressSW3 once more. Step 3 will be blinking and advances to steps 13/23 very quickly.

The RC fan is on and the damper opens and closes automatically. When it's open you'll see 13 when it closes you'll see 23.

Now press SW3 one more time and you'll see 04- both fans on. Are both fans on?