• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRV986FDEM01 not making ice in upper ice maker

Lunker74

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Everything I researched online and after doing the Service tests I decided I needed a new ice maker. I just replaced it and still no ice. I ran service tests again and test 56 give an E1 'No Cooling' which is the same as with the original ice maker. Test 58 gave me a 10. IM heater on Temp warmer than harvest temp. This also is the same result as before I changed the ice maker. I ran all the other service tests and they all passed. Suggestions?

Lunker74

Premium Member
No ice. The only time it made ice was after i performed the service test to fill it up with water, after that it made two sets of tiny thin cubes that froze to the exit chute.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
...it made two sets of tiny thin cubes that froze to the exit chute.
OK, it sounds like it goes through a harvest cycle but doesn't fill or fills very little. Without any ice in the ice maker the ice maker temperature would be warmer than harvest temperature. Look for any ice in the fill tube. Check the fill tube heater (test 19). A clamp style amprobe works best here. Toggle between off and on in test 19 and there should be small increase in amps.
test 56 give an E1 'No Cooling'
Check if the ice box fan is working (test 36). Verify airflow.

Lunker74

Premium Member
Test 19 maybe a little outta my league not sure where to test amps, but no ice in fill tube and the fill tube area felt warm where to heating coil is wrapped around the inlet. Test 36 fan works. My significant other just told me the door will make ice when she turns on the bottom ice maker. But when she turns off bottom maker top stops too

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
the door will make ice when she turns on the bottom ice maker. But when she turns off bottom maker top stops too
Hmm...I checked the wire diagram and I can't see anything in common between the two which makes me think there might be a pinched or almost broken wire in the harness. Set your meter to measure VDC and connect your meter to P7-5 and P7-6 on the board. Run service test #57 Use SW3 to activate. Check for 12 VDC. there could be up to a 2:00 minute delay.