WRV986FDEM01 Refrigerator cooling a little, freezer not cooling at all

SBWK

Model Number
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Our fridge is not cooling well. Right now the refrigerator compartment is at 47 degrees,and the freezer is about 55.

We tried cleaning the coils, but they weren't super dirty and we don't know if there was any benefit. They were hard to reach but we vacuumed around their perimeter. I did not clean with a brush.

I tried running through diagnostic tests, but I'm not a pro and the digits are pretty hard to read -- I wish they were brighter. I did see "E1" codes on test 56 and 66. There were many other tests where I couldn't read or decipher the result.

We just bought the unit used and were told it had issues with the upper icemaker, but that everything else was working fine. Is it possible that it would lose refrigerant during the move? (About 20 miles, with pros who took reasonable care in the job.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

So you just bought it used and plugged it in and its been running for 24 hours and only at 55 degrees in the freezer? Yes, it sounds like a sealed system problem if that's the case.

Did you buy this from a used appliance store or a private seller?

Jake

SBWK

Thanks for your reply. Private seller. She told me it had issues with the upper ice maker and I was OK with dealing with that, but this seems way more serious.

What is involved in repairing a sealed system problem? Is it something that could have been caused by the move? They had it secured in a trailer and seemed to handle it carefully, they were pros.

Do those error codes mean anything to you?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I always advise folks to make sure the refrigerator and freezer sides are normal temperatures before you had over the cash, lots of people that sell appliances through private sale tend to not tell you the whole truth, just to get the sale.

I doubt any damage happened to the sealed system in the move, or you'd see yellowish oily fluid coming from the sealed system.

What is involved in repairing a sealed system problem?
Lots of money, because customers can't fix their own sealed systems without a turbo torch for welding, solder, flux, vacuum pump.

You'd need a licensed refrigeration tech come and fix it for you, and that will amount to a very expensive repair, probably more than you paid for this used refrigerator.

Do those error codes mean anything to you?
Yes,

E1 code on test 56=NO COOL
E1 code on test 66=ICE MAKER MOTOR FAULTY

Jake