• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRV986FDEM01 Whirlpool double drawer dual ice makers quit at same time

Jamie H

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
We have a whirlpool gold series double drawer refrigerator with a bottom draw second ice maker. Both ice makers stopped working at the same time. I have replaced water inlet valve, water filter and both ice makers. I can manually cycle it and got both of them to fill but they will not harvest. I have unplugged, reset with the lock/measured fill buttons, service diagnostics says No Errors. What am I missing? The water dispenser does work. We have been battling this for over a week giving it plenty of time to produce but still no ice. Anyone had this issue?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Does your Temperature control Pantry drawer inside the refrigerator section no longer have a display? Is the display out?

There have been a few members that have found that Pantry UI control board shorted out and thus it will cause the ice maker/dispenser to stop working.

There is a service bulletin about this problem: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OUD3L2YYjwGY48xB2u1jH-LMZXwtUl4a

Disconnect it and see if everything starts working properly again.

Here's the Pantry UI control board for your model: WPW10677119.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I will ask Rick what he thinks it might be, I've never run into this problem myself.

We did have a member with the same model number as yours with a similar problem and it was he dual water inlet valve that was the problem:

I know you said you replaced the water inlet valve, but was it the dual one in his thread, this one: WPW10341329

Jake

Jamie H

Premium Member
The water value is working. We got both ice makers to fill but not harvest. I have confirmed it is a dual water valve. Lightning works, pantry controls work, cooling works. I just can’t help but think it has to be a control board they share I just dont know where to look.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
How did you get both ice makers to fill? Did you force cycle them? Do they both have ice in the ice mold? What setting or temperature is the freezer set for?

Jamie H

Premium Member
The bottom one we manually cycled the system and the top one we went through the diagnostics tests and it filled. My ice sensors doesn’t have power but all my door functions work and the dispensers works. I believe the sensor is bad

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You missed one of Rick's questions: What setting or temperature is the freezer set for?

That's very important to know because if the temperature in the freezer is not below 16 degrees both ice makers will never cycle the ice out.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that's fine. Your ice maker sensor only controls your refrigerator ice maker, not the freezer ice maker, that's why this makes no sense to me how both can go south at once.

Jake

Jamie H

Premium Member
The bottom ice maker started working this afternoon and I order the ice sensor transmitter for the upper ice maker as the red light on the sensor wasn’t working.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, glad to hear the bottom ice maker started working again.

Here's the ice maker emitter sensor board for your model:
W10870822 Cntrl-Elec

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jamie H

Premium Member
Git appears the bottom ice maker has quit again. Any ideas why it would quit? There is ice in the maker

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have replaced water inlet valve, water filter and both ice makers.
Nope, you've already replaced the parts that would cause this problem. Unless Rick knows what else you can check, then its best to have Whirlpool come out to see what's going on.

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
I don't think there's a common problem for both ice makers. Freezer ice maker only:

Check for 120 VAC across holes "L" and "N" on the power module. If the voltage is correct see if you can force cycle the ice maker. Use a small piece of insulated wire bent in the shape of a "U" and short holes "T" and "H" then remove the wire. You may need to hold the door switch closed.

Whirlpool New Style IM.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member

Jamie H

Premium Member
Is this for the bottom ice Maker? I’m still waiting on the receiver to get here for the top ice maker