• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WRV986FDEM01 Whirlpool Evaporator Fan Not Getting Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spconnol

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
The issue I am having is that the freezer/icemakers work fine, but the FC doesn't cool.

I bought a new evaporator fan for the FC and got it all taken apart and put it all back together before making sure it worked. I hear things spin up on Test 3 #4 but cant feel any airflow from the tower at the top at all. I tested the fan with just a 9v battery and some jumpers and it spun fine.

I have it all taken back apart down to the FC fan compartment again and was wondering if diagnostic mode tests will still work right with all the pieces taken off and unplugged. I managed to get the door with the controls hooked back up and on the bracket so I can run the tests but the fan still doesn't spin. Is it because it's not getting power? Or is there a component missing that the test wont run right without?

I have the tech sheet and diagnostic tests one, just don't really know my way around a multimeter too well. I believe I want to check the voltage between P14-1 and P14-2 set to voltage and ideally get 14V is that correct?

Or if anyone has any other advice to try before just replacing $300+ boards please let me know.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, P14-1 and P14-2 are the FC(freezer compartment)evaporator fan motor pins on the main control board.

I'm attaching your tech data sheet below, look at the very bottom in that chart where it says MAIN CONTROL see P14-1 and 14-2--->14VDC--->FC FAN MOTOR OUTPUT ACTIVATE SERVICE TEST 3, STEP 2. Do that SERVICE TEST 3, STEP 2 and that will activate 14VDC on those pins.

Here's the freezer evaporator fan motor assembly for your model:
W11109595 Motor-Evap

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

• tech-sheet-W10849496-RevA.pdf
    589.9 KB · Views: 285

Spconnol

Premium Member
It's the RC fan sorry it was a typo. I'm new to all of this. The evaporator that's not spinning up is the black square one. I've already bought a new one. (A new freezer one too, but then found out the current one is working)

I'm at work now but thank you I will check them when I get home. Having everything pulled off and just the control door on, should I expect it to still run the diagnostic tests the same? Like going through all the disassembly steps to get to the fan, then just putting the bracket for the door back on and plugging it in to use the buttons so it's just empty inside with everything taken off and the single left door hanging in the air.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the same way. There is a video in the part link to it below.

On the main control board P14-3(YELLOW) and P14-4(RED) are the wires to the R(refrigerator)C(compartment) EVAP FAN MOTOR. ---> RC FAN MOTOR OUTPUT ACTIVATE SERVICE TEST 3, STEP 2. Do that SERVICE TEST 3, STEP 2 and that will activate 14VDC on those pins.

Here's the FRESH FOOD EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR for your model:
Evaporator Fan Motor W11087438

Jake

Spconnol

Premium Member
It was indeed not getting power. I pulled the harness clip off and one of the pins was completely broken off. Probably in the old fan. Just spliced everything together and it's working great!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.