• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WRV986FDEM01 Whirlpool French door refrigerator issues, Sometimes it won't dispense ice or water, sometimes the lights don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Woody

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Model WRV986FDEM01

We've had this refrigerator about 3 years. For the past year it has been giving us problems. Sometimes it won't dispense ice or water, sometimes the lights don't work, etc. All of the common problems I see on this forum. It seems like it is never more than one "symptom" at once. Usually unplugging for a little while to reset will fix the problem. Over the weekend I noticed the light was out, but it also seemed like it wasn't cooling. The ice in the door icemaker was starting to melt and some popsicles in the bottom drawer were melting. I again unplugged and it started working. This time, however, the ice maker and water dispenser won't work. I've tried resetting a few times with no luck. Any suggestions? Many thanks!!!

Added complete model number

James Woody

Premium Member
I’ve also noticed this noise, almost like something is trying to cycle. Please ignore the clicking and static of my microphone in between.

Attachments

• IMG_3552.MOV
    16 MB

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks!

Does your Temperature control Pantry drawer inside the refrigerator section no longer have a display? Is the display out? If so, Disconnect it and see if everything starts working properly again. There have been a few members that have found that Pantry UI control board shorted out and thus it will cause the interior lights and ice maker/dispenser to stop working as well.

Here's the Pantry UI Board for your model:
Control Board WPW10677119

Jake

James Woody

Premium Member
Thanks for the response, Jake. It’s still working properly. I saw this on another post so I disconnected it anyway and no change.

Funny thing though. I got home from work and the ice makers are both making ice, now it just won’t dispense.....ice or water.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then the problem is the main control board.

Here's the main control board for your model you can order:
whirlpool-cntrl-elec-wpw10675033-ap6023728_01_m.jpg

Jake

James Woody

Premium Member
Thanks again, Jake. And for another update, I got home from work yesterday and it apparently stopped making ice again at some point during the day. I guess I'll be replacing the main control board. Is there anywhere to actually find one of these in stock? I've searched all over the internet cad can't find one.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately James, the control board is currently out-of-stock everywhere.

Jake

jphill40692

Premium Member
Same problems developed in my WRV986FDEM01....erratic Pantry UI function, open door alarm when no doors open, interior leds not working). Followed suggestion in this forum (after buying an unneeded Pantry UI board!) and found the black wire in the pantry harness completely broken loose inside the left wall. New harness on the way. Thanks to Jake and others who light the way here!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, some people are reporting Pantry UI wire harness breakage.

Look at post #19 here:

Here's the Pantry UI(User Interface) wire harness for your model:

Here's the video to access/replace it:

Jake

jphill40692

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake! Already on it. Cable is arriving tomorrow. I'll repair the bad one and hold it in reserve. :) -Jim.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jim, sounds good, let us know how it goes!

Jake

Todd Howard

Premium Member
Hi - been following this thread as I'm having similar issues with my Whirlpool model WRV986FDEM01- it's 3 years old. All the same issues, lights out, ice makers and vending in door not working, etc. I unplugged the pantry harness at the drawer front and the lights come back on but only on the side in the refrig not top lights or freezer drawer. This harness was replaced about 6 months ago under extended warranty. Seems soon for it to be the issue. Also since the other lights don't come on in the top of fridge or freezer it leads me to think it may not be the harness and could be a board. I know that's what the service tech was going to order (all 3 boards) after he checked all the switches via the panel in service mode. After that I got them to buy me out but would still like to fix it. I don't feel like all three boards is a good diagnosis...a bit of spray and pray if you ask me. Any advice on this situation would be appreciated!
Thank you!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
All the same issues, lights out, ice makers and vending in door not working, etc. I unplugged the pantry harness at the drawer front and the lights come back on but only on the side in the refrig not top lights or freezer drawer.
Did the ice maker and dispenser start working again too after you unplugged the pantry harness?

The freezer LED is in series with the TOP refrigerator LED's.

Its usually the freezer LED that's bad and makes the TOP LED's in the refrigerator not work either. You can remove the freezer LED and check for 14 volts DC to where it plugs into that electrical connector, or jump the electrical connector with a jumper wire and see if the TOP LED's in the refrigerator start working.

Here's the freezer LED for your model:
W10695459 Module

Jake

Todd Howard

Premium Member
Jake - thank you very much for your timely reply. Sorry for my delay in responding. Yes when I unplugged it I heard something and the dispensing door actuator come on and cycle. Went off when I plugged it back in... Does this lead you to think it the lower LED part or bigger issue? If the lower LED was bad would that impact the ice maker, water and ice dispensing on the door? I was thinking it may be a broken wire in the pantry drawer harness but any insight to minimize rework is greatly appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Remove the entire Pantry UI wire harness and see if everything starts working good again.

If the lower LED was bad would that impact the ice maker, water and ice dispensing on the door?
No.

Jake

Yotrust

Hi- I’m researching the same multiple issues with my fridge. I understand this might be an issue with main control board, pantry control board, pantry wire harness, or the door switch.
What trouble shooting process should I start to determine which part needs replacement?
I unplugged and visually examined the pantry control board and see no obvious damage. However- Unplugged this part, now the water dispenser is operating.
Thank you in advance for advice!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you have the exact same model number WRV986FDEM01 ? Please make sure. The model number tag is located inside the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling.

Tell us what is working and what is not with that wire harness on, and with the wire harness off. List them please.

Jake

Todd Howard

Premium Member
Ok pulled the pantry wiring harness and same situation. Side lights come on and drawer lights but top lights are on very dim and flicker when actuating the door switch in the top corner of the fridge. I pulled both of those switches out and check for any shorts by moving the wires around and they seem fine and work as they should. Seems like it may be a board? Thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No Todd, its not the board, because the other LED's are working fine.

The LED's run in series, I don't know how old you are, but when I was a kid in 1970's the Christmas tree lights ran in series too, and if 1 bulb was bad, the rest would not work. Same principle here.:)

Do What I mentioned to do in post #14 for the LED's.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.