• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRV986FDEM01 Whirlpool Refrigerator - Bottom ice maker issue

TJlaf

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
I have searched for some answers here. And trouble shot a lot. Well a lot I think. I ran some of the diagnostic tests on the display. I error codes. I have removed water lines from back and am able to blow thru them with movement. Lower ice maker not filling with water or making ice. I assume it’s the dual valve assy at this point not telling the system to move water to the maker? Anyone help on this? Unit is a couple three years old.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the bottom freezer ice maker for your model: W10886931

If you manually fill the ice maker try right now, will it dump all the cubes out solid with 90 minutes?

Jake

TJlaf

Premium Member
Sorry. Misunderstood what you meant. I will try shortly and see if it produces.

TJlaf

Premium Member
Latest update. I haven’t stopped messing with it. Removed the entire ice maker. Found nothing. Installed it again, filled it, jumped two pins and assy rotated with door button pressed. And of course, it filled with water so I had to clean the overflow. No idea why it seems to be working all of a sudden. But will monitor and check back

TJlaf

Premium Member
Aaaaaand it’s not rotating anymore lol. If it’s supposed to I assume the maker is bad. If it’s not I’ll see in an hour or two

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, give it 2 hours and see if the ice dumps.

Jake

TJlaf

Premium Member
Strike that. It isn’t loading water on its own again. So the control face of the maker?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then you should see the freezer ice maker fill tube coming into the back of the freezer from the exterior wall, then remove the lower back access panel and disconnect that freezer ice maker fill tube hose where it connects to the water inlet valve, then blow into that freezer ice maker fill tube to see if its clogged with ice.

Jake

TJlaf

Premium Member
It’s not. I did that yesterday. It only loads water if I jump the pins on the makers face panel. I will check again later today and see if it’s working. But so far unless I jump T and H it won’t do on its own unless I force the cycle.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then the problem is the ice maker itself is NOT sending the 120 volts to the WATER INLET VALVE when its auto-cycling.

Order the new ice maker I posted the link to above in post #2 and you should be back in business.:)

Jake

TJlaf

Premium Member
Update. Came home and was near the fridge and heard it attempt to fill. Ran another cycle by jumping pins. No water flow. Will have to get to get in there the next couple days to see if it’s frozen. If not, valve bad?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member