• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WRV986FDEM01 Whirlpool Refrigerator RC(refrigerator compartment) does not cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwillia

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
We have a 2017 Whirlpool 5-door refrigerator that has stopped cooling in the refrigerator compartment. The freezer compartment is working. We confirmed that the evaporator fan is not turning and have replaced it. However, it's still not coming on after replacing it with the new one. We are getting a consistent volt meter reading (12.7v) on the back control panel for both the RC and and the working FC fans. Any suggestions on what to look for next?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
12.7 VOLTS DC is normal.

Look here at post #2 and post #4:

So, check your wiring to the fan motor first, if that is good then that fan motor must be bad, where did you get it at?

It's in-stock here:

Jake

kiwillia

Premium Member
To check if the new fan is bad, can I check the continuity at the fan connector? I think I should see a low resistance of under 100 ohms(?) Is that correct? I have verified that there is voltage coming from the control board to the fan connector.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you can ohm test the fan motor, yes, under 100 ohms.

Jake

kiwillia

Premium Member
Just want to let you know that the problem has been repaired. It was the connector that was failing, not the evap fan. We had notice that one of the pins had some corrosion on it ;we cleaned both sides of the connector as best we could. It was the wire for the vcc line to the fan (brown wire). The corrosion had corroded the wire inside the potting material of the connector. It looked fine at a quick glance but when I gave it a little "tug test" it came apart. Connected a jumper across the connector, ran the fan test and it worked. Thanks for your assistance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad that was all it was.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.