WRX986SIHV00 Whirlpool Refrigerator - no cool

bizzs

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX986SIHV00
Brand
Whirlpool
Does anyone have a service repair manual for whirlpool WRX986SIHV00? My 16 month refrigerator bit the dust and I suspect a sealed system failure. I tapped compressor and no R134a was measuring on manifold gauges, and there is no frost on evaporator.

Thanks
Dean

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
.....and no R134a was measuring on manifold gauges,....
What was the low side pressure? High side pressure? Compressor running and no frost on the evaporator is definitely a sealed system issue.

bizzs

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply Rick. The problem is definitely the compressor and it is smoked. There was a leak near the low port crimp. Unbelievable!! There was no ohms found and I unwelded the compressor and removed. Whirlpool was kind enough to send me a new one free of charge. What brand and type of brazing rod should I use to weld this thing back in? It has been awhile since I did a sealed system and I have read many different online opinions.

Thanks

bizzs

Premium Member
Thanks Rick for the info. Two of those lines appear to be steel and I will be soldering them to copper as you know. Have a great weekend!!

bizzs

Premium Member
One more question Rick relating back to my original post. Do you have a service manual for this model?

Thanks
Dean

rickgburton

Staff member
I don't, sorry. I have the wiring diagram and tech sheet. Yours should be under one of the hinge covers.

bizzs

Premium Member
Thanks for checking Rick. I already found the tech sheet. Keep me in mind if you come across the service manual.

Thanks for your effort

bizzs

Premium Member
Hi Rick, Can you give some pointers on charging this unit? This model has the duel evaporator system.

I replaced the compressor and flushed the system with nitro. I vacuumed the system and the seal held. I weighed in 5.5 ounces of r134a on low side and started compressor. The food section started to cool but I noticed that the dryer was developing frost and the freezer was not cooling within 20 minutes as per the tech sheet. There was no high pressure at the dryer stem valve. I shut down unit and restarted. The compressor was trying to start but it kept stalling.

I removed and recovered about an ounce of r134a and the compressor started back up but it would not cool the fridge. I shut down system and recovered all the r134a. I disassembled the sealed system and cleaned it again. It appeared to me that the r134a was not being dispensed through the freezer evaporator and the 5 .5 ounces had overcharged the compressor. The compressor would jump but it would not run. I cleaned the system again and brazed in a new dye dryer. I found a tech manual that is very similar to my model, and from my interpretation, the refrigerant 3 way valve has to be in "home" position so both evaps are wide open. The tech sheet explains a service test procedure to test this valve, but it does it in sequences. Is there a way that I can have the rkv valve remain at the "home" setting so the r134a will charge directly throughout the entire sealed system? Thoughts?

Thanks
Dean

rickgburton

Staff member
...the dryer was developing frost
That's a system restriction in the filter/drier or cap tube.

Is there a way that I can have the rkv valve remain at the "home" setting
You need to go into service mode and run test #4. When you press SW3 the control drives the 3 way valve to the home position (4 minutes) Hold the 3 way valve in your hand when you don't feel any movement in the valve unplug the machine.