• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRX986SIHZ Whirlpool fridge not making Ice

JHop

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX986SIHZ
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool Bottom Freezer French door refrigerator WRX986SIHZ in which the ice maker stopped making ice. I have run through all the diagnostic codes and everything appears to be working properly and Service Test 56 shows no error codes. The only one I question is Service Test 58: Ice Maker Heater Activation. I get “00” but am not sure what the code should be. Also, when I run the Ice Maker Water Fill test, wait a day then run the Harvest test I get ice. So, it appears to be working manually but not automatically. What should the Service Test 58 code be? Any thoughts on next steps?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Service Test - 58: Ice Maker Heater Activation and Thermistor
Press SW3 to activate the ice maker heater and to toggle between on and off.
NOTE: Digit 1 displays the state of the heater. Digit 2 displays the thermistor state.
Digit 1 (0 = ice maker heater off, 1 = ice maker heater on)
Digit 2 (0 = temperature warmer than harvest temperature, 1 = temperature cooler than harvest temperature, 2 = open, 3 = short)

That test just checks those 2 parts, did the ice maker heater come ON when it was in Digit 1--->1?

Digit 2 read 0 which means temperature warmer than harvest temperature

Jake

Attachments

• tech-sheet-W10844086-RevA.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 49

JHop

Premium Member
Thank you . . . I don't know how to tell if the heater came on as the ice maker is enclosed behind a thin rectangular slot. I assume the heater is functioning properly as I can run the Harvest test and it produces ice if given enough time after running the fill test.

Right now I don't see any errors and I can get ice when running the individual functions manually, but it doesn't run them automatically.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Let's do these tests:
Service Test - 36: Ice Box Fan
--->Check for fan operation. Control ice box fan by selecting SW3. Display the status on Temp Display. (01 = on, 02 = off). Verify airflow from the ice box fan.

Service Test - 37: Ice Box Thermistor
--->The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display the results on the Temp display (01 = pass, 02 = open, 03 = short).

If those tests pass, then you will need to replace the ice maker, that is the culprit.

Here's the ice maker for your model: W11294907 Icemaker

This video shows you how to replace it:

Jake