WRX986SIHZ00 Whirlpool Gold French Door not cooling properly.

Jonteer

Model Number
WRX986SIHZ00
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello, new here but it seems there are some very helpful people. My fridge and freeze don’t seem to cool like they used to. It’s only a year and half old too which is disappointing. It is currently set on 33/0 (fridge/freezer) but it only gets to 40/45 and +5. I have checked the coils underneath and cleaned them with no change. I have take the little panel off the back and the compressor is warm to the touch and the fan is working. I don’t know where else to start checking.

Edit: It seems to work intermittently. As I was typing this up it started cooling properly. I think it knew I was asking for help.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Look on the back wall of the freezer section and check for any frost build up. Check if the fan in the freezer is working.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, If the machine has been plugged in and running for at least 24 hours, leave the machine plugged in and running and remove the evaporator cover (back wall in your pic) and check the frost pattern on the coils. You want to see a very, very light coat of white frost on all the coils top to bottom and side to side, no ice or snow. Take a picture and post it here if that's not what you see. Be sure to reinstall the evaporator cover when you're done. That machine uses an inverter compressor. Inverter compressors are very quiet and run at, or just above room temperature. Does it seem to be cooling properly now?

Jonteer

Here is what it looks like. Now I’ve had the door open for about 45 minutes or so trying to all the drawers and stuff out. I’m putting it back together now.

So the fridge fluctuates between like 29-43 and the freezer fluctuates between 0 and 10.

Also, I didn’t bend those tines. I took the cover off and saw they were all bent up. Don’t know if that matters or not for this.

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
I can't tell. 45 minutes with the door open doesn't give me anything. Defrost the coils with a hair dryer or leave the machine unplugged and the door open. Make sure all the frost is gone then install the cover with one or two screws. After 24 hours and still plugged in and running remove the cover and take a pic. How often does it fluctuate?

Jonteer

It fluctuates all throughout the day. I’ll work on defrosting and getting it back up and then I’ll take a pic then. Thank you for your help so far!

rickgburton

Staff member
Let's try this;

Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds. Release both buttons when you hear the CHIME indicator.

Unit must not be in Lockout prior to entering SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE.

The display will show 01 to indicate the control is in test 1 of the diagnostics routine.

To exit Service Diagnostics Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds, disconnect the product from power or wait 20 minutes.

Following the exit of the diagnostic mode, the controls will then resume normal operation.

Each test must be manually advanced.

Press SW5 to move to the next test in the sequence.

Press SW4 to back up in the sequence to the previous test.

Each step is displayed in the two digits of the dispenser user interface display.

The step results are displayed in the two digits on dispenser user interface display 2 seconds after the step number is displayed.

An amber order filter light will be shown to designate that the step number is being displayed

A red replace filter light will be shown to designate that the status of the step is being displayed.

Run the following tests and post back the results:

Service Test - 1: FC Thermistor
The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display flashes results on the Temp display (01 = pass, 02 = open, 03 = short).

Service Test - 2: RC Thermistor
The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display the results on the Temp display (01 = pass, 02 = open, 03 = short).

Service Test - 3: Evaporator Fan and Air Baffle Motors
Control the RC and FC evaporator fan motors by depressing SW3
01= both fan motors off. 02 = FC fan on.
Depress SW3 once to advance. Service Test 3 will flash quickly and advance to tests 13/23 very quickly. The result is RC fan on, pantry air damper on. Pantry air damper will open and close automatically (13 = damper open, 23 = damper closed). Verify airflow inside pantry on left hand side when damper is open (13 displayed). Airflow in pantry will cease when “23” is displayed. Depress SW3 to advance to last step (04 = both RC and FC fans on).

Service Test - 4: Compressor/Condenser Fan Motor/ Evaporator Fan

There will be a delay of 3 seconds before start of Sub Step 01. NOTE: Each test is timed and will automatically proceed to the next step. User will not be allowed to exit test. If exit is attempted, an invalid chime will sound. Control the sealed system loads by selecting SW3
01 = initialize dual evaporator valve in home position (4 min.)
02 = close both RC and FC evaporator valves (1 min.)
03 = turn compressor on (1 min.)
04 = keep compressor on. Drive the valve to RC position and turn RC fan on
05 = keep compressor on. Drive the valve to FC position and turn FC fan on
Verify airflow from the evaporator fan.
NOTE: Advance quickly through Service Test 4 to keep from locking in. Once locked in, you cannot exit, and must wait approximately 10 minutes.

Service Test - 5: Compressor Status/Speed
Initial Display 02 = Minimum speed
Depress SW3. Display = 03. Compressor ramps up to maximum speed.
When maximum speed is reached, 01 is displayed.
Depress SW3. Display = 04. Speed ramps down from maximum to minimum speed. Display = 02.

Jonteer

Service Test - 1: FC Thermistor
The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display flashes results on the Temp display (01 = pass, 02 = open, 03 = short).

I got 01

Service Test - 2: RC Thermistor
The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display the results on the Temp display (01 = pass, 02 = open, 03 = short).

I got 01

Service Test - 3: Evaporator Fan and Air Baffle Motors
Control the RC and FC evaporator fan motors by depressing SW3
01= both fan motors off. 02 = FC fan on.
Depress SW3 once to advance. Service Test 3 will flash quickly and advance to tests 13/23 very quickly. The result is RC fan on, pantry air damper on. Pantry air damper will open and close automatically (13 = damper open, 23 = damper closed). Verify airflow inside pantry on left hand side when damper is open (13 displayed). Airflow in pantry will cease when “23” is displayed. Depress SW3 to advance to last step (04 = both RC and FC fans on).

I could hear the fans kick on as well as feel some airflow.

Service Test - 4: Compressor/Condenser Fan Motor/ Evaporator Fan

There will be a delay of 3 seconds before start of Sub Step 01. NOTE: Each test is timed and will automatically proceed to the next step. User will not be allowed to exit test. If exit is attempted, an invalid chime will sound. Control the sealed system loads by selecting SW3
01 = initialize dual evaporator valve in home position (4 min.)
02 = close both RC and FC evaporator valves (1 min.)
03 = turn compressor on (1 min.)
I could hear the compressor kick on
04 = keep compressor on. Drive the valve to RC position and turn RC fan on
I could feel the air from the fan
05 = keep compressor on. Drive the valve to FC position and turn FC fan on
I could feel the air from the fan
Verify airflow from the evaporator fan.
NOTE: Advance quickly through Service Test 4 to keep from locking in. Once locked in, you cannot exit, and must wait approximately 10 minutes.

Service Test - 5: Compressor Status/Speed
Initial Display 02 = Minimum speed
Depress SW3. Display = 03. Compressor ramps up to maximum speed.
I could hear it spool up to maximum speed
When maximum speed is reached, 01 is displayed.
Depress SW3. Display = 04. Speed ramps down from maximum to minimum speed. Display = 02.
I could hear it wind down.

The fridge is at 52 and the freezer is at 0. We have also had two quick power outages in the past couple of days. Where the power basically flickers off then on but long enough to reset clocks and things. I think this started happening after the first power outage. It also seems that if I restart the cooling, either by unplugging it or turning it off from the dispenser, it works fine for a little while and then eventually back to what I originally was asking about.

Could there be a bad board or something that is causing it to not cool correctly? I can check resistance/current/voltage measurements on boards if need be.

rickgburton

Staff member

Jonteer

Ok. Thank you for your help! Do know where I can find the service manual by chance to make sure I don’t mess something else up in the process.

rickgburton

Staff member
Jonteer said:
I noticed on mine it had an additional sticker. Do you happen to know what that is for.
The one in your picture? Rev A Switch Version 3.0 that's pretty much what it's for.

Jonteer

So I installed the board and woke up this morning to a fridge that is at 47 degrees. The freezer is at 0. I have no idea now what to check or figure out. Any ideas?

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, Check the frost pattern on the evaporator coils. Leave the machine plugged in and running while you remove the evaporator cover. If everything else checks good, a sealed system problem is all I can think of.