• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRX988SIBM00 Whirlpool Refrigerator leaking from drawer

dhurst

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX988SIBM00
Brand
Whirlpool
We noticed water collecting at the outside bottom right hand corner of the fridge. It appears to be collecting in the drawer and over time when opened trickling down the front right side behind the freezer door and into the floor.

The only thing we have noticed different is the condensation under the ice maker see attached. I also looked where the evaporator motor is to see if there was any ice buildup there and found water to be tricking down from the top of the fridge see attached.

Last time I took this apart for a separate issue there was no mold growth present now there is on ice dump seal, evaporator motor cover and at the bottom shoot coming from the top of the fridge.

The ice maker has been slow-ish but we only use it when we have guests so it is hard to notice or judge. Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• IMG-8182.jpg
    IMG-8182.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG-8184.jpg
    IMG-8184.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG-8183.jpg
    IMG-8183.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 55

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I located a service bulletin for this issue, I'm attaching it below.

What is the first 4 digits of your serial number?

Serial Numbers: K217-K450

Possible Concern:
It is possible that consumers might experience condensation, or frost collecting on the internal walls of the refrigerator compartment. This may occur on the rear wall near the ice maker supply and return ducts and at the center of the
icemaker.

Potential Causes:
This concern could have various causes. Under certain environmental conditions and usage patterns, it is possible the humidity level in the refrigerator compartment may rise to a level sufficient to cause condensation and/or frost.

Here's the kit is says to order:
Control Board W10789393

Jake

Attachments

• service-pointer-w10772228-reve.pdf
    233.8 KB · Views: 47

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, your serial number K4080 is in range of Serial Numbers: K217-K450. So that service bulletin applies to your refrigerator.

Jake

dhurst

Premium Member
I submitted a home warranty claim and the tech said they drain line needed taken off and cleaned? Does that sound legit and how would I do that?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Here's the drain line assembly for your model:
Drain Hose W11084807

This video shows you how to access to clear it out:

Jake

dhurst

Premium Member
I cleaned the drain and it was clogged but no water came out once I removed the drain. Reinstalled and everything has been fine for a few weeks until yesterday there was water in the floor in the same location. Any thoughts? The fridge at times does seem to be over working but it could be because I noticed on the same day we loaded groceries. It also still has condensation in the top seen in original post. We do not use the ice maker but at times it does get low or melted and I finally heard and saw it drop ice last night.

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is there water in your drain pan underneath the back of your refrigerator, where the drain tube mounts above it?

You may need to see if there is a clog from the inside where the defrost drain water drips down to the drain pipe.

Jake

dhurst

Premium Member
There was not that I could see. I thought the same thing but I didn't know how to do that? I looked in schematics to see how to access it and couldn't find anything.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You have a drain trough under the evaporator coil, it has a drain hole in it, I'm posting the photo of it below. You will need to get a hair dryer to melt the ice, then run some hot water down your defrost drain hole, if it doesn't go down fast, its clogged, then you would need to use air pressure to blow out the drain line, or get a mini-snake to run down it.

I use a evaporator cooler spider snake: Evaporative Cooler Flexible Spider Snake

They are used basically in Arizona to clean out the water pump tubes that run to the cooler pads. I don't know if they would sell them in your area, but if you go to your local hardware store, they should have something similar to run down your drain to clean it completely out.

Here's the drain trough for your model, see the hole in it? That's the drain hole.

Jake