• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRX988SIBM01 Restarting about every 10-30 minutes

pauzinho

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX988SIBM01
Brand
Whirlpool
This Whirlpool Gold french door started last night to continuously restart making the initialization chime on a regular basis with nobody touching it. It is about 5 years old. Everything is still cold (both fridge and freezer sections). I don't see any ice build up. The compressor is warm. Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

What do you mean? Like rebooting? Like everything shuts down and comes back on again over and over? Are you getting the PO(Power Outage) message too on your display?

Jake

pauzinho

Premium Member
It turns off for a very short period and then does the startup chime. I don't see any codes on the display. The water and ice dispensers work fine.

I've gone into the service mode and it shows no errors codes.

Last edited:

pauzinho

Premium Member
Most sites seem to say that it is a control board problem. Does that sound correct?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its hard to say, I had one do this in my area a couple years ago and I changed all the 3 controls boards on it and it didn't fix it, I called Whirlpool and they said a faulty compressor can make it do that.

These newer electronic refrigerators act very different when the compressors fail, like it's trying to reboot continually.

So its best to have Whirlpool come out to see what's going on before you spend $300 on a board that may not fix it.

Here's the control board for your model:

Jake