- Nov 23, 2022
- Denver, CO
- Model Number
- 6-10 years
First post and excited to hear some of the experts weigh in!
Here’s what I have:
Here’s what I have:
- Make: Whirlpool
- Model: WRX988SIBM01
- Purchased: August 2015 (Over 7 Years Old)
- Little to no ice production –Ice production on this has been low from day one.
- Refrigerator Section was warm in the low 40’s(F) – setpoint was 37F
- Freezer section was in the mid 20’s(F) – setpoint was 0F
- E5 code on Service Test 56.
- All other Service Tests worked fine and or tested as “passed”.
- RC thermistor not optimized per Technical Service Pointer.
- FC had significant frost build up near top fins and not distributed evenly.
- Cleaned condenser coil as it was plugged with pet hair and dust.
- Cleaned all door gaskets and ensured proper alignment and sealing.
- Ran a long defrost – Service Test 38 “Lo” – verified the heater got hot with a thermal imaging camera.
- Changed Service Test 7 to “Basic Mode” or the 8hr defrost timer.
- Service Test 6 said 01 bi-metal closed.
- RC and FC drains were working properly and draining well.
- Optimized the RC thermistor as stated in Technical Service Pointers.
- Checked Power Supply board voltages and were within spec.
- Checked Control Board voltages for the heater/bi-metal circuits and were within spec.
- Confirmed FC & RC Evaporator Fan works as expected.
- Confirmed Ice Box Fan works.
- Confirmed RC,FC and IM Thermistor within spec.
- Very little ice produced – No error codes.
- RC actual temp was 35F with the setpoint at 33F. Fluctuates between 33F and 40F
- FC actual temp was 12F with the setpoint at -3F. Fluctuates between 12F & 22F
- Do the temps appear ok? Freezer may not be getting cold enough to pump cold air up to the icemaker and make ice consistently hence the low ice production and E5 code for timed ice making.
- How do I get this machine to produce more ice, at least what is advertised in the owner’s manual? Saw there is a supplemental fan that can be added to the return duct on the cold air ducting to improve flow in the icemaker? Is this needed?
- I’m suspecting the FC defrost circuit, any tests I am missing on the bi-metal to confirm its operation?
- How about the control board? With all I have tried and verified, could it be a control board? Any other tests I can perform to verify the control board? If the relays are the issue and go bad, I am comfortable soldering on new relays if need be. Hoping someone has the schematic for this board and what relays control what.