• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WRX988SIBM01 Whirlpool Refrigerator controls unresponsive?

Mleew

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX988SIBM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello all!
I have a Whirlpool WRX988SIBM01 purchased ~2015. Replaced the ice maker but otherwise it's been solid these 7 years.

Yesterday the door control interface panel had the "door open" indicator illuminated with all doors closed and would not dispense water. I unplugged the fridge to reset. Powered back up and that indicator went off but seems the controls aren't fully starting up. Ice dispenser pad does nothing, measured fill does nothing, fridge/shelf drawer control panel doesn't illuminate. Attempting to go into the TEMP or Options menus count down, display the menu UI for a split second then back to the default UI. The other thing I noticed is the fan usually spins up after a door open/close. I don't hear that happening (though I'm measuring 35deg at the top back of the fridge so I believe air is still circulating "normally") and I don't think the ice maker has run since this started. All door open toggles control lighting correctly.

I can get into the test menu and move through tests. That let me verify the display and buttons (including ice dispenser button, only drawer controls do nothing). Interestingly after exiting the service test menu I can get into temp and options again.

Other than control misbehavior the fridge does still *seem* to be cooling (thankfully!) but that's about it.

Any tests to run / ideas? I'd guess the control board could be an issue but thought I'd post here since this is the place that helped me figure out my ice maker issue and order a replacement. :)

Thank you!!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

This a service bulletin that could explain this issue, it deals will moisture migration and spillage on the deli interface board.

Symptoms:
Erratic dispenser and/or ice maker operation
Deli Control display changes
Door ajar light won’t turn off
Erratic User Interface operation

WRX988SIBM is listed in this service bulletin.

Cause:
Moisture migration or liquid spills into Dotyk board (Deli User Interface Board) may cause the communication circuit on the board to fail completely or operate erratically.

Correction:
If you are servicing a product for one of the symptoms listed above, remove the Deli board and inspect for evidence of spillage. If confirmed, order and replace the board. See figure 1, 1A.

I'm attaching this service bulletin below so you can see figure 1, 1A.

Here's the deli interface board for this model:

Some members have been able to disconnect the wiring that connects to it and all operation returns to normal.

I located a video that shows you how to remove it and takes the wires off of it:

Jake

Attachments

• servicepointer-w10666199-erraticdispenser.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 32

Mleew

Premium Member
Jake!

You were spot on.

Though I did not see any apparent evidence of condensation issues my wife did mention she's regularly had to wipe up that board. I disconnected that board, power cycled the fridge and left it overnight. This morning everything (sans that specific board) is working again normally!

Thank you for the fast response, detailed answer and, above all, the willingness to help! Incredible. Thank you.
Mitchell

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Mitchell, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.