• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRX988SIBM01 Whirlpool Refrigerator - red door ajar light flashing, won't dispense water

gm2racer

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX988SIBM01
Brand
Whirlpool
I woke up this morning to find the red door ajar light in the control panel of my fridge flashing. The light is not steady and the audio alarm does not go off, like when the door has actually been ajar for more than 5 minutes.

I cut the power to the fridge twice for 2-3 minutes each time and the light starts flashing again as soon as the power is restored. I also tried holding down the two door switches in the fridge and one in the freezer and they interior lights turn off when the switches are pressed.

Cooling seems to be OK, but it doesn't dispense water or ice. Anybody have any ideas what's going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There is a service pointer on this problem. Here's the --->Service Pointer - W10666199 (Erratic Dispenser).pdf

Just remove the wires from the Pantry UI Board and see if the red door ajar light goes off and the ice/water dispenser issue is resolved, if so then you will need to order the new Pantry UI Board.

Here's the Pantry UI Board for your model:

Jake

gm2racer

Premium Member
I actually saw the service pointer in another thread on this forum and tried it, but it didn't make a difference.

A couple of hours later though the door ajar light went away and the water/ice started to work normally.

The fridge came with the house we bought in 2019. Less than thrilled with it. I've already had to replace the icemaker in it and some of the blue lights in the the ice/water control panel seem to be very dim.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, its possibly the main control board is intermittently causing this problem.

Here's the main control board for your model: W10807590

You may want to contact Whirlpool at 1-866-698-2538 and have a tech come out to verify that first, if the tech does not know, the tech can call the factory on a special HOTLINE tech number from your house.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.