• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WRX988SIBM03 Whirlpool Gold Series Fridge Randomly Shuts Down

JasonK4268

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX988SIBM03
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi, forum newbie here. I searched for the issue I'm having but didn't find a solution; then again, I may have missed it.

We have a Whirlpool Gold series fridge model # WRX988SIBM03 that we purchased new 3 years ago. The issue is it will (for lack of the proper term) shutdown or go dark randomly. So here is what we see, the lights are off in upper fridge and lower freezer, water dispenser stops working and it appears the compressor shuts off. It just stops working, goes dark, dead. If I unplug the fridge for usually 5 minutes or more it makes a series of beeps, then starts working again. This happens once a week for a while or it can go a month before it happens. Completely random. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jason

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, next time it shuts off access the control boards on the back of the machine. Make sure all the connectors are on tight. On the main control board check for a constant 120 VAC across P1-1 and P1-2( connectors and pins are labeled on the board). If the voltage is correct replace that board. If not replace the power board.