• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WSF26C3EXY01 Ice Dispenser Not Dispensing

Xslim

Premium Member
Model Number
WSF26C3EXY01
Brand
Whirlpool
Tried searching but did not find anything relevant enough to my model so I am posting a new thread. The refridgerator has been installed for about 6 months. It made ice fine. One day, I went for ice and got a cup full of water out of the ice dispenser (there is a seperate water dispenser which continues to work fine). I turned the ice maker off for a couple of days and pulled some ice out that was stuck into the top where the ice is made. Now, it makes ice perfectly well but it does not dispense. The dispenser door opens but the auger motor does not turn or make any noise even with the ice bin out and all the relevant sensors depressed.
I believe the auger motor is dead but have no idea how to check or repair it. I have seen on other posts about checking the voltage to the motor. I have a volt meter but am not sure how to check the motor or which part I would need to replace it. A little help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Slim

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hey Slim, If it's only 6 months old you should call Whirlpool and set up a warranty service call. If you attempt a repair, you'll risk losing your warranty.

Xslim

Premium Member
Sorry, I should specify. As the unfortunate circumstances worked out, I have owned the refrigerator for close to 1.5 years. However, it has only been installed and in use for about 6 months. Thanks.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK Slim, Remove 2 screws and lift off cover. Remove the coupling by lifting straight up. A spring is captured under the coupling. To access the motor remove the 4 - 1/4” screws securing the chute to the housing. Lift out the chute. The chute may require some effort to remove because of the foam seal around the chute tube. Inspect seal and repair or replace if necessary before reassembly. Remove 4 - 1/4” screws securing the motor to the housing. Lift up the auger motor and disconnect the wire harness. Connect an Ohmmeter across the 2 motor terminals and measure the resistance. The resistance should be approximately 210 Ohms plus or minus 10%. Here's a few pictures that might help:

GSF26 WFS26 Auger Motor Removal 1.jpgGSF26 WFS26 Auger Motor Removal 2.jpg

Auger Motor W11202789

Xslim

Premium Member
Thanks! I will try this in the morning and report back with what I find. I appreciate the help.

Xslim

Premium Member
Okay, it took much longer than expected but I got the motor out. The whole bottom half of the motor including the wiring harness underneath were encased in a solid block of ice. It took a while to thaw it and get it out. I am only using a crappy analog ohm meter, but the auger motor is only reading about 50-60 ohms across the motor terminals (the two outside terminals I believe). Obviously, analog meters arent the most accurate, but 50-60 is much less than 210.

Should I replace the motor? Considering the wiring harness was encased in ice, do I need to test the wires to see that they are still supplying current? Thanks for your advice. The pictures were a huge help!

rickgburton

Staff member
I saw one of those meters in a museum once. Replace the motor. There's also suppose to be a drain in there by the motor to keep that from happening. You might need to clean it out.

Xslim

Premium Member
Do the wires for the motor come up through the drain pipe? It looks like it too is clogged with ice.