WSM2700WBWW GE - washer/dryer combo - dryer is intermittently "weak"

scanman

Premium Member
Model Number
WSM2700WBWW
Brand
GE
Hi -

GE washer/dryer combo (bought used several years ago so, the age is a guess). My wife reports that yesterday the dryer was hesitant to start, and she noticed a burning smell. However, later in the day she dried a load of clothes without any issue.

Today, I went to dry clothes. The dryer started, but was weaker than normal (with a burning smell). After briefly holding down the start button, the dryer began working fine and was no longer "weak." The burning smell also seems to be gone.

I have done some washer and other appliance repairs, but have not troubleshooted a dryer. Any suggestions on where to start would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I'm not understanding what you mean by weak. Can you make a video of your doing that and upload it here so we can see?

Where was the burning smell coming from? The control panel?

Its possibly the timer contacts are wearing out that will make it smell burnt.

Here's the dryer timer for your model:
WE4X775 Timer Dryer

Jake

scanman

Premium Member
Jake - thanks for your reply. I agree weak is not a great description, but I was at a loss for words. Will plan to make a video and upload it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Not sure where the burning smell is coming from. My wife thinks the burning smell smells like oil, but I am not sure I agree.

scanman

Premium Member
The dryer began working intermittently (would generally work as long as you hold down the start button for a few seconds), but now is not working again. As requested, see the attached video.

Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup Rick is correct, you will need a new motor.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We are glad to help Dante, keep us posted.

Jake