• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED WT1101CW LG top load washer will not drain, error code OE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeeper50

Premium Member
Model Number
WT1101CW
Brand
LG
Wife discovered our LG topload washer wasn't draining and showing a code of OE with half load of clothes. I bailed it out and turned it around looking for a drain filter to check, but there wasn't one. I did remove the hoses and the drain pump from the unit and tested it with jumpers and 120v. Strong magnets but ran fine when energized.

So...here I am hat in hand... what tells the pump to cycle on during the spin cycle? washer only spins 1/3 speed due to amount of water. After bailing out tub spin cycle came up to normal speed. drain pump never came on. What do I check next?:wall:

S/N 302PNGX2U423

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check the pump connectors especially the white 6 pin connector on the main board. Make sure the pins in the connector are not starting to back out of the connector.

Check the voltage to the pump at the BL3 pin 3 if it's out of range replace the main board:
EBR76262102 PCB Assembly,main

jeeper50

Premium Member
Rick is the main board located in the upper door or inside the cabinet? What range in voltage is normal?

rickgburton

Staff member
WT1101C WT1201C Service Manual

Under the top. You need to remove the front panel. Normal AC voltage so 110 VAC to 125 VAC:

Attachments

• WT1201C WT1101C Service Manual.pdf
    19.6 MB · Views: 8,537

jeeper50

Premium Member
Thanks for the pdf, I removed the drain motor again to reevaluate it. It does spin with 120v however it seems very labored doing so, the impeller turns as though it was one of my old RC airplane engines like it is building compression and then spinning around to do it all over again. So I ordered a replacement as I am assuming that the bushings are worn out. It seems to be water cooled as the housing drained more water out as it sat on the bench. I was able to get the armature/impeller out and found some crud inside the housing.

Just how fast should it turn with 120v, it does have a duty cycle so I haven't been running it long.

jeeper50

Premium Member
Rick
I guess I'll be the tech and you can be the homeowner and I'll let you know how the new one turns and rpms with 120v.

rickgburton

Staff member
LOL....OK. I stopped doing service calls on all LG and Samsung appliances a while ago. Way too many headaches. I had a customer call me on a 7 month old washer. When I told him it was still under warranty and to call an authorized LG service company he told me he did and they didn't want to work on it either and they're no longer doing LG warranty. This is word for word from a refrigerator service manual; "Replace the ice maker and power board. (about $370) If problem is not resolved, replace main PCB".
(about $190). Those are parts prices only. I can't tell my customer I'm charging her $450 and if it doesn't fix it I'll need to charge her another $250.

jeeper50

Premium Member
I wouldn't what to be told that either, I'm no longer a fan of then either. seems like everything is just china junk now a days. Got the new drain motor and it spins like the old one on 120v. So I plan on continuing my troubleshooting this week. Sure glad I had our old washer in the basement as a spare.

jeeper50

Premium Member
New Pump 5859EA1004F turns just as fast as old one. Accessed the PCB to check for power at pins you mentioned, the manual tests for power with OE code showing on display but I have unplugged and drained the washer. Guess I need to set it up to run again and let the code show again then test for power.

wildimaginations

Appliance Tech
Did you check the drain hose from the tub to the drain pump? It is possible that a small article of clothing got in between the tub and drum and is stuck in the drain hose. Could be a small sock or a thong underwear. Usually, it's the thong underwear that's causing the problem.

Hope this helps.

jeeper50

Premium Member
I have test ran it out in the garage with the drain house in normal position and when It wouldn't pump water out lowered the drain hose and it gravity drained quickly out of the hose, also have had the pump out three times from the beginning, and all times residual water flowed out. I'm just about to throw in the towel and spring for a main board. I have a question about the water level sensor? the unit fills about halfway then spins slowly until the 12 minute timer triggers the OE code on the display, if I lower the drain hose to let water drain out then the unit begins to spin up faster and faster but tub fills back up with the rinse. It functions normally if I continue to monitor and drain the water level until the cycle completes. I have completely removed and installed the top and reseated all wiring connectors. Thank goodness I have a spare washer during this time.

wildimaginations

Appliance Tech
Check the connectors at the drain pump to make sure they're secure and the wires have not broken off the connectors. I've found some drain pumps to do that. Next, check the wires between the drain pump and the control board to make sure they haven't been cut or damaged. Check the voltage at the drain pump when it calls to drain. If it's less that 110 volts, change the board.

jeeper50

Premium Member
Replaced the PCB set it up in garage to do a cold wash and voila drains normally. Replaced pump as part of the shotgun troubleshooting, then bought a PCB spent a total of $130 for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.