• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WT5101HV LG Washer - Shavings from tub ring and top of tub

second.exodous

Premium Member
Model Number
WT5101HV
Brand
LG
I just replaced the Housing Assembly, Clutch Coupling on my WT5101HV and did a test load and everything went well but there were plastic shavings from the top of the tub and the tub ring. The cycle worked well, no grinding like I had. I took it apart and put it back together again just to make sure I got the washers and bolts in place. Hopefully I didn't ruin it. The age I'm not sure on, bought it used and it ran for a year before the bearings went out and I had to replace the clutch assembly. Hopefully the pictures are good enough.

This is the top of the drum, actually has a pretty good groove in it.

This second picture is of the Tub ring. When it spins it isn't loud or anything. Here is the shavings.

Some were bigger but I threw them away and can't find them in the garbage.

So is it ruined? It seems like it works, do I need to rebalance the drum or something? I never noticed shavings before and didn't notice the groove in the tub when I had it apart.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20200811_024653.jpg
    IMG_20200811_024653.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200811_024721.jpg
    IMG_20200811_024721.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20200811_024706.jpg
    IMG_20200811_024706.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 32

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Those shavings are likely from the old clutch bearings being bad. I see that happen all on the older Whirlpool Duets when the bearings/spider support arms went out on them.

If your not noticing any shavings now, then you should be fine.

Here's the clutch/bearings assembly for your model, in case others need it too:
AEN73131406 Housing Assembly,clutch

Jake

second.exodous

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, this is the part I replaced. I know there were no plastic shavings when I got everything back together because I cleaned the scum from the drum. I ran a test with no clothes and cold water so I could watch everything move and all looked and sounded alright. Noticed the shavings so I cleaned them out and thought I'd try a full load. Did three towels, just went to the laundry mat waiting for this part so that is all I had, and new plastic shavings. I took it apart to make sure I didn't miss any washers or screws and I didn't see anything. Do you think I over or under tightened something?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's a good question, I really don't know. I have not replaced this clutch assembly as of yet on any LG washers in my area.

I'd take it apart again and see what you did or didn't do is causing this. There is a video in the clutch part link to assist you.

Jake

second.exodous

Premium Member
Just wondering, it looks like the Pulsator Assembly is worn out, and it spun off before I replaced the clutch assembly so I think it was worn out before. I noticed there is a rubber o-ring in it and it worries me because maybe that is what killed my last clutch. If water gets down the shaft does the hole go to the bearings?

Basically what I'm asking is now that this clutch has water in it will it fail also?

EDIT:. I can pretty much confirm it was worn out before because the teeth that go into the Pulsator Assembly on my old clutch look brand new, not worn at all, so to come off in a wash the Pulsator Assembly had to be worn out, right?

Attachments

• IMG_20200813_054340.jpg
    IMG_20200813_054340.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20200813_054401.jpg
    IMG_20200813_054401.jpg
    685.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Those are good questions, but I don't have the answers, because LG washers are not popular in my area in western Arizona, and I rarely work on them, except for replacing the drain pump on them, that's all I have done.

Hopefully another tech that works on these LG models day in and day out can answer those questions.

But, yes your pulsator does look worn out and I'd replace it if I was you.

Here's the Pulsator Assembly for your model:
AGZ72909711 Pulsator Assembly

Jake