• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

WT5480CW LG washer agitator plate not spinning freely

David0917

Premium Member
Model Number
WT5480CW
Brand
LG
I have a LG top load washer model WT5480CW where my tub spins freely but the agitator will not spin freely and will not agitate. It will do the cycle just fine but when it tries to agitate it’ll just spin the tub. Upon inspecting everything (rotor, magnetic stasis coupling etc, the couple checks out good. When the washer is on it’s side I can spin the agitator plate freely without the rotor on there. While the rotor is in place and still on its side I can still spin it freely but when I place it up right it’s locked up. But without the rotor in place and standing up right the plate spins freely. Does that sound like the magnets are going bad? Or is there something else to look for?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi David, I don't have the tech data sheet for this model, but your tech sheet should be in the control housing. I would suggest that you find it and enter diagnostics and look for error codes to have a starting point for testing.

Two possibilities, either the clutch motor or clutch itself is bad.

Here's the clutch motor for your model:
4681EA1009C Clutch Motor

You can physically check the clutch gear assembly. If the gears are broken, the clutch can't engage. To check it, you have to remove the rotor assembly. It's a simple replacement.

Here's the clutch assembly for your model:
AEN73131403 Clutch Assembly

Video Included in part link.

Keep us posted.:)

Jake

David0917

Premium Member
So I’ve checked the clutch gears and they are in good shape. No broken teeth or anything of the ordinary. Next is to check the clutch motor. Is there a way to isolate the clutch and test it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is there a way to isolate the clutch and test it?
That I don't know, sorry.

Did you locate your tech. data sheet? it may tell you how in it, to test it.

Jake

David0917

Premium Member
So update. I replaced the clutch and what I noticed while I watch it doing a cycle, the plate will spin for say sensing a load but the tub and plate just spin when it says “washing” could that possibly be bearings or maybe something is stuck in it causing to to not spin freely?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I can't locate the service manual or I could tell you. Hopefully another tech. that works on these day in and day out can answer that.

Here's the parts diagram:

From video below, The clutch and bearing are one in the same:

Jake